HDTV and Dish Network

I saw the posts by Sherry (PaNjDeFemale) and it started me wondering:

I have had Dish for over 3 years now. I have 4 receivers, locals channels, and one of my receivers is the Tivo-like 501 (Can't live without it!!!). I also get the complete HBO package. I pay about $93 a month. The wife bought me a big 50-some-inch widescreen HDTV last year (I think I'll keep her!) but I have yet to watch anything in HD. Now I know Dish has

2 different HD receiver (an 800 series and a 900 series. The 900 has the Tivo capabilities). The recievers aren't cheap, but I was thinking of "splurging" after the first of the year. Now that I have rambled on about that, here is my question:

If I get one of the HD receivers, do you HAVE to subscribe to their HD package (at $9.99 a month) which someone told me involved another dish AND is only something like 6 channels? Would I be able to get any HD shows WITHOUT subscibing to that package? Now let me state first: I live too far away from a major city so over-the-air reception is NOT an option. Somtimes I wish I lived closer just so I COULD get over-the-air HD signals, but I don't want to give up living here in God's country....;-]

Oh! BTW, it drives me crazy when they say your signal goes out in bad weather. Bunk! The only time I have lost a signals was when we had a torrential downpour last summer and I think the signal was lost for about 15 seconds. When I had cable, we'd lose it for hours (and sometimes days) at a time when one of the lines went down.....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

Duhhh..NO you won't get any HD channels without subscribing...just like you won't get HBO without subscribing!! Good news is the first 6 months are free.

Reply to
curmudgeon

"curmudgeon" wrote

I figured that. The only reason I asked was:

Every now and then I think I have seen (at the beginning of a movie/show) a little blurb that says (something like): Broadcsted in HD (where available).

Now we just have to wait for the new HD DVD players to come out AND go down in price.....

Reply to
Red Neckerson