Oil-Filled Electric Radiator Heater

Page 2 of 2

And you need heat for your pets??????
Mark
Mark wrote:

Hey, who says they're not Iguanas?
- Rodger

Cats, not lizards....

Yes, I do. It gets down below freezing here every winter. Not for long, but 24 hours of freezing with no heat at all would be a little much for me or my very old cats. One of them has lived for 24 years. He's old, he's cool as hell and I take good care of him, as any friend would another. Cold makes his bones hurt as it does mine.

BTW do not modern heaters have 'Anti tip-over' switches per UL requirement? Howevr not hard to quietly fasten heater to something, w piece of wire etc. to prevent tip over.
Merlin wrote:

I don't have a heater, but I have a towel warmer that works the same way, and easily heats a 6x8 bathroom in a much colder climate than Florida. In fact, we closed the register on the forced air heating as the towel heater alone was enough. The brand we got comes in varying sizes, up to 900 watts and 3000 BTU; perhaps they have even bigger models now.
I wonder if you have to heat at all for your pets, and if so, whether you have to heat the whole area. All our pets have fur and don't seem to be bothered by the cold.

Thank you for your suggestion. Both of my cats are pretty old. The 600 square feet is the common area of my house. It's the living room, office area, kitchen and laundry area.
The three bedrooms and Florida room aren't included in that. I've never allowed animals in my bedrooms. I could leave the door open and they wouldn't go in. It'd worry the hell out of them though.
I'm just trying to heat the common area during the coldest part of the year. Here, it's mostly air conditioning, but for about a month each year, it gets down to heater temperatures.

Just an update for those who are interested.
I now use two of these heaters. One in the 600 sq ft area that is set on the highest wattage and about half way up on the Thermostat. It keeps the area at a constant 74 degrees when it's 40 outside.
The other is in the bedroom and set on the lowest wattage and almost off on the thermostat. It keeps the 240 sq ft bedroom at 72 degrees while cycling during the 40 degree weather.
I love these things! The cost to run them both is about $2 per/day.
WAY cheaper that the propane I was using.

I bought one of the oil filled radiator style heaters as well and so far so good also!!
I have it in my bedroom and shut the bedroom door at night and only heat THAT room....and turn the main forced air furnace WAY down
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:19:04 -0600, me wrote:

I have one also, a Holmes model. Do the same thing with mine too.
On Dec 19, 3:19 pm, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

I don't even have any heat other than the two radiators now. With one in the common area and one in the bedroom, I have a nice warm house. I turn the bedroom one on about an hour before bedtime.
The biggest problem I've had with them is setting them LOW enough. They produce so much heat that I'm still adjusting them downward to maintain the temperature I desire. They use almost no electricity.
KUDOS to the person who invented this gadget!
Oh pshaw, on Thu 20 Dec 2007 05:47:15a, Merlin meant to say...

Whoever invented the oil-filled electric radiator did so many decades ago, so they're nothing new. There does seem to be resurgence in popularity, and they really are very effective .
--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, December 20th,2007

But how small is your home that two of these heaters will heat the entire place?
On Jan 2, 2:50pm, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

One heater is heating a 600 square foot area to 70 degrees and the other is in the bedroom heating a 200 square foot area on it's lowest setting with one hour on, one hour off, to 68 degrees that I like to sleep at.
I just bought an older home, it's about 900 sq ft. I've got 2 oil heaters...one on each side of the house. I got the oil heaters because I didn't want to sign up for natural gas, for many reasons....The house has a natural gas heater but it also has a electric water heater, so because the water is electric I got the oil heaters to stay total electric. They do okay until the temps dip down in the 20's and then it's a little nippy. But that's alright...because with the oil heaters that's one less bill to pay every month. So I give two tumbs up, all though I haven't got my first electric bill, should be cheaper then gas because natrual gas around here is a rip-off $$$.