Oil-Filled Electric Radiator Heater

Page 1 of 2
Has anyone used one of these for heating?
I want something I can leave on when I'm not home for the pets. This looks like it would be safe. No open element, no fumes.
I've decided to stop using propane heat because of the cost. I live by myself and only intend to heat the central living area of my living room/kitchen/dining room. The total area is about 600 square feet and I would use the ceiling fan to circulate the warm air.
**** UL Listed Manufacturers one-year warranty 600/900/1,500 triple watt heater. Heating element is factory-sealed in mineral oil; oil is safely heated internally. No fumes, no flames. Thermostat maintains temperature with automatic on/off cycles. Seven-fin steel cabinet with easy rolling wheels. 7-ft. line cord with high-temperature plug. ****
If there is anyone out there that uses this heater, would it heat this size area?
Jacksonville Florida is the area I live in.
Thank you for any help you may have for me.
Here's a link to a picture of it:
http://www.overstock.com/Janitorial-Cleaning/Oil-Filled-Electric-Radiator-Heater/2693090/product.html#moreinfo
Coming in late on this, but... That seems pretty expensive for an oil fill radiator. I usually get Delonghi's or knockoffs for much less. See (Amazon.com product link shortened) for $69 and includes a programmable timer.
I use one of it's ancestors in my bedroom, and it gets too warm.
In answer to someone's question about tipover switches - it has one, but the metal gets pretty hot and that could be a problem if it fell onto something. I have dogs and would be leery of leaving them along with the unit, lest they knock it over or hurt/burn themselves. If they were loose with the unit, I might consider getting a dog crate for the heater, to keep them away from it.
Merlin wrote:

http://www.overstock.com/Janitorial-Cleaning/Oil-Filled-Electric-Radiator-Heater/2693090/product.html#moreinfo
Agreed that the price is excessive. About $70 with the timer and somewhat less without the timer.

I like oil filled radiator heaters and they do a good job.... but are somewhat heavy.
Lately I've been leaning towards getting one of these...see link
http://www.bionaire.com/productDetails.aspx?pid 18&cid9
Its a "micathermic" radiator. Costco has them and they are very lightweight, completely silent (no fan), and this particular model has a standalone thermostat/remote that can be set across the room aways to give the unit better temp control
Anyone have one? Any real world experience with it?

Looks expensive. Keep in mind, 1500 watts is still 1500 watts no matter how fancy the package or how many controls it has. How many times a day do you adjust the heat? If the remote is of value to you, go for it. If you'd rather have that money to apply to your electric bill, stick with what you have.

cheapest oil filled, steel radiator style electric heater than. yes?

Yes

Ok that would be the Lakewood brand at the local Farm and Home store then
On Nov 13, 10:08 am, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

We have one about 30 years old it still works fine

Here's an update:
After lots of reading and looking at many units, I decided to get the Delonghi TRD-O715T.
I tried it out for two days and it heated my 600 sq ft area to 70 degrees F while being a low of 39 outside. It held it there while cycling on and off. In 24 hours of running, it's used 10 KWH, which translates into $1.10 at my current rate of 11 cents per/KWH.
My per/day costs with propane were MUCH higher.
I'm extremely pleased with this and have just ordered a second one for the bedroom.
Thank you all for your input on this.

Thanks for getting back about it. If you can heat your house with two of them for about $60 a month, that is pretty cheap.

I agree. The propane heating was getting crazy. I was filling my 250 gallon propane tank twice each year. That's a lot of money. I was heating my entire 10 room house. I then shut off the vents in unused rooms and decreased my heating costs by almost half.
This latest step was because of the problems I was having with my propane supplier. They started acting as though they were doing ME a favor by coming out to fill my tank when they felt like it. They left the relief/fill valve open one month and the tank emptied itself. When I told them what they had done, the Manager of the place, (a real butthead), told me that "sometimes winos open them to sniff the propane" and that I would have to eat the cost of a refill.
After talking directly to the owner, I still only received half of the cost back.
I told them that day to come get their tank off my property.
So ends the trials of home heating. I've found what I believe to be the most efficient method of heating now. Two of these units will do me just fine. I'm now by myself, so heating the common area and one bedroom is all I need.

First, take a god look at cost comparisons to see if you will save money http://hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/fuel_cost_comparison_calculator /
In my area, electric would be about 25% more than propane.
Assuming the cost factor fits, it is a good choice for safe heating as it has a lot of surface area for heat distribution. That translates to no hot spots.
Next is size. How cool does it get where you are? 1500 watts is not a lot for 600 square feet in cooler areas. It is about what you'd need for a single room. To take the chill off in Florida, it may work out.
1500 watts is 5180 Btu for comparison to a propane heater. The cost of running the unit in high is your electric rate per kWh + 1.5. At my local rate that would be $6 a day on high, or $180 a month to heat one room, versus that much in oil costs to heat my entire house. Given the cost of the unit, I can buy a lot of oil. YMMV, but do the math before you leap.
"Merlin" wrote .

I havent, but I did see something interesting on one of those 'house flipping' shows just last week. Fellow had something like that (not on wheels) and he built a little credenza with grillwork over it to both hide it and make a nice sort of breaskfast nook spot with stools in front. I thought tthat was a pretty nifty idea. I was also thinking if the top lifted up, sorta like a piano keyboard cover does, it would make for better heat flow.
In your area, you dont need much heat or perhaps it's better to say you do not need it often. Since it's on wheels and pets can be 'playful' when you are away, I'd want to have some way to make sure they can't knock it over when you are gone. I'm sure if you do like the idea of some sort f 'enclosure' the unit has specs on how far away from other things it is supposed to be. (keep that in mind with the bottom if you have a deep pile carpet).
I have two units like this, though each one has a timer as well as a thermostat. I use them in bedrooms that are more like 200 square feet or less, at night only. Since these units are only about 5,000 Btu, I only use them as supplemental heat, not as a primary heat source. These units work best in a small, insulated space with no drafts, since they heat by convection and very slowly at that.
Insulation of the space, particularly windows and doors, will be the key to using this unit effectively.

Thank you to all of you that have answered. I guess I'll have to continue to use the propane. What a drag.
The cost has gotten out of control.
I think I'll get one of these units and see exactly how much heat they put out in my conditions. I'll use the propane for days that are too cold to do otherwise.
Thanks again for all your input.

That's a good plan.
I borrowed one of these "radiators" to heat our master bedroom while our furnace was being replaced. As it turned out, the first night the temp descended to -8F (yes, 8 BELOW zero). The second night (without a furnace) was a little less cold but not by much.
During the second night, with the door closed to our moderately-sized MBR and bath, I actually had to throttle-back the heater. I was VERY impressed with its performance. (There were other electric heaters operating elsewhere in the house during this time.)

Given it's Jacksonville, Florida, yours sounds like a good plan. Remember: Electric heat is virtually 100% efficient. In some places, it is also 100% EXPENSIVE although the gap between it and NG has narrowed considerable in recent years. Only you, armed with information such as how much you are paying per kilowatthour of electricity versus therm of LPG, can tell how much, if at all, you will save by using electricity for heat. Good luck!
--
:)
JR

No project too small
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 19:06:44 -0500, Jim Redelfs

Thank you for replying. Your information is very usful.
I'm going to get one of those units now, and I can have another in any 3 day period. If the one does what I need, then it's a winner!
If I estimate, (after testing one unit), that another would really do the trick, I'll get one more. I wouldn't want to have to buy more than two.
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 14:11:16 -0500, Merlin wrote:

I've used one for years. Only concern is to be careful with the oil filled enclosure as the metal can be pierced..