Oil-Filled Electric Radiator Heater

Has anyone used one of these for heating?

I want something I can leave on when I'm not home for the pets. This looks like it would be safe. No open element, no fumes.

I've decided to stop using propane heat because of the cost. I live by myself and only intend to heat the central living area of my living room/kitchen/dining room. The total area is about 600 square feet and I would use the ceiling fan to circulate the warm air.

**** UL Listed Manufacturers one-year warranty 600/900/1,500 triple watt heater. Heating element is factory-sealed in mineral oil; oil is safely heated internally. No fumes, no flames. Thermostat maintains temperature with automatic on/off cycles. Seven-fin steel cabinet with easy rolling wheels. 7-ft. line cord with high-temperature plug. ****

If there is anyone out there that uses this heater, would it heat this size area?

Jacksonville Florida is the area I live in.

Thank you for any help you may have for me.

Reply to
Merlin

Here's a link to a picture of it:

Merlin

First, take a god look at cost comparisons to see if you will save money

In my area, electric would be about 25% more than propane.

Assuming the cost factor fits, it is a good choice for safe heating as it has a lot of surface area for heat distribution. That translates to no hot spots.

Next is size. How cool does it get where you are? 1500 watts is not a lot for 600 square feet in cooler areas. It is about what you'd need for a single room. To take the chill off in Florida, it may work out.

1500 watts is 5180 Btu for comparison to a propane heater. The cost of running the unit in high is your electric rate per kWh + 1.5. At my local rate that would be $6 a day on high, or $180 a month to heat one room, versus that much in oil costs to heat my entire house. Given the cost of the unit, I can buy a lot of oil. YMMV, but do the math before you leap.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Merlin" wrote .

I havent, but I did see something interesting on one of those 'house flipping' shows just last week. Fellow had something like that (not on wheels) and he built a little credenza with grillwork over it to both hide it and make a nice sort of breaskfast nook spot with stools in front. I thought tthat was a pretty nifty idea. I was also thinking if the top lifted up, sorta like a piano keyboard cover does, it would make for better heat flow.

In your area, you dont need much heat or perhaps it's better to say you do not need it often. Since it's on wheels and pets can be 'playful' when you are away, I'd want to have some way to make sure they can't knock it over when you are gone. I'm sure if you do like the idea of some sort f 'enclosure' the unit has specs on how far away from other things it is supposed to be. (keep that in mind with the bottom if you have a deep pile carpet).

Reply to
Cshenk

I have two units like this, though each one has a timer as well as a thermostat. I use them in bedrooms that are more like 200 square feet or less, at night only. Since these units are only about 5,000 Btu, I only use them as supplemental heat, not as a primary heat source. These units work best in a small, insulated space with no drafts, since they heat by convection and very slowly at that.

Reply to
Tom Kendrick

Thank you to all of you that have answered. I guess I'll have to continue to use the propane. What a drag.

The cost has gotten out of control.

I think I'll get one of these units and see exactly how much heat they put out in my conditions. I'll use the propane for days that are too cold to do otherwise.

Thanks again for all your input.

Reply to
Merlin

I've used one for years. Only concern is to be careful with the oil filled enclosure as the metal can be pierced..

Reply to
Meat Plow

And you need heat for your pets??????

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I don't have a heater, but I have a towel warmer that works the same way, and easily heats a 6x8 bathroom in a much colder climate than Florida. In fact, we closed the register on the forced air heating as the towel heater alone was enough. The brand we got comes in varying sizes, up to 900 watts and 3000 BTU; perhaps they have even bigger models now.

I wonder if you have to heat at all for your pets, and if so, whether you have to heat the whole area. All our pets have fur and don't seem to be bothered by the cold.

Reply to
Not

That's a good plan.

I borrowed one of these "radiators" to heat our master bedroom while our furnace was being replaced. As it turned out, the first night the temp descended to -8F (yes, 8 BELOW zero). The second night (without a furnace) was a little less cold but not by much.

During the second night, with the door closed to our moderately-sized MBR and bath, I actually had to throttle-back the heater. I was VERY impressed with its performance. (There were other electric heaters operating elsewhere in the house during this time.)

Given it's Jacksonville, Florida, yours sounds like a good plan. Remember: Electric heat is virtually 100% efficient. In some places, it is also 100% EXPENSIVE although the gap between it and NG has narrowed considerable in recent years. Only you, armed with information such as how much you are paying per kilowatthour of electricity versus therm of LPG, can tell how much, if at all, you will save by using electricity for heat. Good luck!

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Hey, who says they're not Iguanas?

- Rodger

Reply to
Rodger

Yes, I do. It gets down below freezing here every winter. Not for long, but 24 hours of freezing with no heat at all would be a little much for me or my very old cats. One of them has lived for 24 years. He's old, he's cool as hell and I take good care of him, as any friend would another. Cold makes his bones hurt as it does mine.

Reply to
Merlin

Cats, not lizards....

Reply to
Merlin

Thank you for your suggestion. Both of my cats are pretty old. The 600 square feet is the common area of my house. It's the living room, office area, kitchen and laundry area.

The three bedrooms and Florida room aren't included in that. I've never allowed animals in my bedrooms. I could leave the door open and they wouldn't go in. It'd worry the hell out of them though.

I'm just trying to heat the common area during the coldest part of the year. Here, it's mostly air conditioning, but for about a month each year, it gets down to heater temperatures.

Reply to
Merlin

Thank you for replying. Your information is very usful.

I'm going to get one of those units now, and I can have another in any

3 day period. If the one does what I need, then it's a winner!

If I estimate, (after testing one unit), that another would really do the trick, I'll get one more. I wouldn't want to have to buy more than two.

Reply to
Merlin

BTW do not modern heaters have 'Anti tip-over' switches per UL requirement? Howevr not hard to quietly fasten heater to something, w piece of wire etc. to prevent tip over.

Reply to
terry

Coming in late on this, but... That seems pretty expensive for an oil fill radiator. I usually get Delonghi's or knockoffs for much less. See

$69 and includes a programmable timer.

I use one of it's ancestors in my bedroom, and it gets too warm.

Lee

Tom Kendrick

I like oil filled radiator heaters and they do a good job.... but are somewhat heavy.

Lately I've been leaning towards getting one of these...see link

Its a "micathermic" radiator. Costco has them and they are very lightweight, completely silent (no fan), and this particular model has a standalone thermostat/remote that can be set across the room aways to give the unit better temp control

Anyone have one? Any real world experience with it?

Reply to
me

Looks expensive. Keep in mind, 1500 watts is still 1500 watts no matter how fancy the package or how many controls it has. How many times a day do you adjust the heat? If the remote is of value to you, go for it. If you'd rather have that money to apply to your electric bill, stick with what you have.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski