Oil-based paint for concrete patio

Grrrr...

For literally DECADES I have been repainting my front patio annually with a dark red oil-based paint from Benjamin Moore. I heard they were phasing it out, so I bought extra cans, but they're now used up.

The local BM store said I have to treat the existing coverage with an oil-based primer before repainting with the new water-based (tfui!) stuff, which is apparently all that's allowed now in California.

This seems counter-intuitive. Why would I have to prime with an oil-based product to prepare for a water-based cover?

Your wisdom appreciated.

(Also, where can I order out of state for the Good Stuff without paying a fortune in S&H?)

TIA

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

I've heard rumors that commercial painters can still buy oil based materials. Might do a bit more asking, or maybe someone here knows.

Reply to
DanG

If you're doing it annually anyway, what does it matter what kind of cheap shit you paste on there?

S. Barker