off topic: new car advice for senior

Page 16 of 16
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Many guys do lot more now like a pro photographers, old movie collectors, etc. They use NAS with very complex back up scheme. They can access their stuff in sync from anywhere where there is 'Net access. Now cloud storage is getting popular but personally I never use it. I just have a Synology 4 bay NAS with separate back up drives. I can remotely access home security cameras running 7/24, or home comfort system. Can remote start my car sitting at airport parking lot. It's like car remote start has some thing like cellphone. Call the car to start it. sytem
On 10/3/2015 7:14 AM, Roger Blake wrote:

It's not just the "data" that you can lose control of (icky grammar) but the applications that access/process it, as well. I don't let any of my computers install updates automatically. (in fact, I've been downloading MS's updates for "offline" installation for the past few days). I don't want to "wonder" why my machines *appear* to be behaving differently (for better or worse). I want to *know* that I am directly responsible for any changes and not "wonder" WTF someone else decided to do *to* my machine (in the name of "improving my user experience")

OTOH, I genuinely *love* running X windows terminals so to cut my maintenance efforts significantly! I don't have to run around to each machine (terminal) changing configuration options, installing the latest applications/versions, etc.
But, again, *I* have control over them, not some "cloud provider" making the changes that *they* want to make on *their* servers!

I can understand the desire to get away from the sea of techs that seems essential to keep any organization's IT up and running. I spend a couple of days a week, on average, on equipment related stuff (and I'm just a one-man shop -- though with a large number and variety of machines, OS's, applications and data)
My "solution" is to just know what I *have* (good and bad) and control how often (rarely!) I make changes. Just because some OS/applicaation vendor thinks its time for a new roll-out, doesn't mean *I* want to partake of that -- even if it is "free" (the *time* to install it and learn it is NEVER free! And, the alleged benefits rarely prove to be worth the effort)
I maintain a small "computer lab" for a local non-profit (for disadvantaged kids). The updates mentioned above are intended to be deployed, there. It will take me a couple of days just to get a dozen machines "checked out", upgraded and debugged -- and I doubt any of the students will notice or *care* that they've been "upgraded". If I had to *pay* someone to perform such an (apparently) useless task for dozens/hundreds/thousands of "seats" at an organization, I'd be looking real hard for a way to NOT need that person/department! :>
On 10/02/2015 10:30 PM, Roger Blake wrote:

I've found that ironical too. The ADM-3A terminals have been replaced with tablets, phones, and Chromebooks but we're getting back to where we started. With the same problems too. AWS has a hiccup and the world stops.

There was desk sized computers when I worked at DEC in 69. Even had terminal displays. One competitor was Honneywell.
Greg

We built some of the last DEC PCs for them.
On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 19:56:55 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster

The one that was built upside-down and inside-out?? Motherboard on the top if I remember corectly - strange critters they were.

The original Daewoo branded daiwoos were prety crappy cars too.
On 9/30/2015 12:30 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

The 2009 to 2014 Genesis was not up to the Lexus. In 2015 they got it right.
On 9/29/2015 4:01 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I live in an area with a large Korean population. I was often at my kids high school on Saturday mornings to help with band stuff, and that's when the school is used for Korean school, a big enterprise with about 800 kids being dropped off, and three people directing traffic. Very few Japanese cars. A lot of the Koreans will not buy a Japanese car, for the obvious reason, so you see a lot of Korean, American, and German cars.
On Thursday, September 24, 2015 at 8:39:02 AM UTC-7, leza wang wrote:

lace her standard old car. She is very good driver with very clean driving history. Her current car is Volkswagen golf. She is thinking of buying a ne w Volkswagen golf but automatic of course (easier to drive). Do you have an y other recommendation on which car (brand name) she should consider. Too m any options and technologies are not really required, just basic stuff but most be automatic.

As others have said, for seniors, ease of getting in and out is one of the top things. An overlooked option for that is the Ford Taurus. I sits high er than most cars, lower than an SUV. I am 80 and wife was disabled (died last year), both of use could get in/out of the Ford 500 (now Taurus again) without problems. Difference between 'crawling down into" (modern cars) a nd just turning and sitting down.
Harry K