off topic: new car advice for senior

Page 15 of 16
On 10/1/2015 11:31 PM, rbowman wrote:

DEC, DG, Wang are at the forefront of technology. Big (and smart) companies that will go on forever.
As Ken Olsen wisely pointed out "why would anyone want a computer on their desk?" Such a great vision.

Sorry, it was Data General we made the PCs for, not Digital Equipment - - -

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca writes:

This all leaves out so much computing history:
Electrodata (late 50's) 220 Burroughs B5000/B5500/B300/B3500 (early 60's) GE-600 series (GE-635 was the internet equivalent in 1965) CDC-6600 (PLATO was the internet equivalent in the 1970's) Honeywell (nee Datamatic) 800, 200, DPS systems IBM 1401, 7094 RCA Spectra 70, RCA series NCR 315 (1962) ICL Groupe Bull Univac III, 1100/2200
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLATO_ (computer_system)
On 10/2/2015 11:18 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

The 5500 was an interesting machine in how it dynamically maintained dependencies between (independent) "execution units"

And, of course, Mutt Licks! Too bad no one has tried to port it to more modern hardware (36b is a wee bit odd!)

Mmmmm.... "Empire"! ;-)

In addition to Multics, Dartmouth Basic was developed on the 635.

I prefered DnD, myself.
And Notes was a direct predecessor of Usenet.
On 10/2/2015 1:13 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Oh, I didn't realize that. I'd have imagined a smaller machine!

The plasma displays were just *so* appropriate for Empire!

On 10/02/2015 02:13 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

And a dark day that was.
On 10/02/2015 11:28 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Another footnote. I got a kick out of Dukakis campaigning on the 'Massachusetts Miracle' when everybody in the industry knew the miracle was rapidly turning to a debacle. Personally, I decided to retire for a while and left New Hampshire in '88 looking for greener pastures.
On 10/02/2015 07:23 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Nothing like going from 'America's most successful entrepreneur' to 'what an idiot' in a few short years.
There is also a legend that Ward Christensen's proudest possession is a memo from his boss at IBM telling him if he wanted to mess around with 8080's on his own time it was okay but the microprocessors were never going to go anyplace.
IBM is about the only dinosaur left standing and I'm not sure why. 15 years ago all our clients were running RS/6000 systems and we were developing for AIX. I can't remember the last time we did an AIX build and we shut down the last RS/6000 boxes three years ago. They may or may not boot anymore but it's an academic question.
They were nice systems but when dealing with IBM you always got the idea you were dealing with the red headed step child division until you saw the invoice.
On 10/2/2015 6:49 PM, rbowman wrote:

IBM has a constancy. There is little fear that they are going to "go away" and leave you "hanging".
The first time a client asked me, straight out, "What do we do if you get hit by a bus?", I laughed. I thought it a joke. But, realized he was deadly serious -- what *would* they do if I got hit by a bus? Sure, I could arrange for all of the work I'd done for them (even those things for which I'd not yet been *paid*!) to exist in an escrow account in their behalf. But, there's no *entity* ready to step into my shoes and finish the work -- in anything akin to the timetable on which they had initially planned!
With IBM, if your tech/salesperson/rep got hit by a bus, a new "droid" would magically appear and introduce itself to you. Nothing for you to "worry about".
IBM's designs (those that I've been exposed to) are also pretty "vanilla". And, their "process" is significantly disciplined so there isn't much risk of something existing *solely* in ONE GUY'S head (making that guy indispensible).
All of these things conspire to leave you with a reasonably "safe" path forward -- regardless of what might befall the company or its employees.
On 10/02/2015 08:35 PM, Don Y wrote:

Like they say, nobody ever got fired for choosing IBM. Or, these days, Windows.
On 10/2/2015 9:28 PM, rbowman wrote:

When I was in college the data center chose an Amdahl 470/V6 because it would fit. The IBN equivalent required a chiller and would not fit in the building. IBM went to the governor trying to stop the sale. Amdahl had the machine in a truck, not far from the school, waiting for the approval to go through.
On Sat, 3 Oct 2015 06:45:36 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster

From the Burroughs world, IBM meant "It's Better Manually"
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Burroughs had pretty monster size impressive looking MICR. It used Nixie tubes for digital display.
On 10/03/2015 07:09 AM, sms wrote:

We had an System 360/30 in a purpose built building. However, years after I left the computing center was moved to a building more fitting for the task:
http://rpi.edu/tour/vcc/
The old god was replaced with the new god.

Ken Olsen was correct, just ahead of his time, as evidenced by the growing popularity of so-called "cloud computing." Most people really do not want the hassle and responsibility that having their own computer entails. What they really want is the capability, but provided by a terminal that is easy to use and as maintenance-free as possible with someone else handling the messy details of security, backups, etc. on the other end.
On 10/2/2015 9:30 PM, Roger Blake wrote:

This split keeps flipping back and forth every few years as technology and personnel costs change. Wait until some "cloud" is seriously breached: I can see the adverts, now: "It's 6PM -- do you know where your DATA is??"

I'm not in favor of "cloud" computing myself, both because you lose control of your data (you don't know who will have access to it under what conditions, or even if you will be able to access it in the future), and because it represents a big step backwards 40-50 years or more to the days of the old computer service bureaus. The "cloud" is just the latest marketing-speak for a very old concept.
There have already been breeches and losses of course, for example:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/214775/microsoft_cloud_data_breach_sign_of_future.html
People are still flocking to the cloud though, running off the cliff like lemmings, because Ken Olsen was right! ;-)
On 10/3/2015 10:14 AM, Roger Blake wrote:

I can see advantages for some businesses with the need for data to be accessed from many locations. For the typical small business or home user, simple backup to a thumb drive covers all your needs.
On 10/3/2015 7:23 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Run a VPN to your own server. Ah, but that requires the same technogeeks that we're trying to get away from! :>
One has to wonder how many "sealed" orders have already been served on Amazon, MS, etc. (cloud providers)? It's just *such* a sweet honey-pot that you KNOW the spooks are drooling over a chance to go "wandering through the data"...