odd size a/c filter?

Is anyone aware of an online supplier of air conditioner filters (preferably pleated) in the size 22" x 30" x 1". I've Googled for a/c filters and all the suppliers I checked had just about every size but this one. A local store will order them but will sell them only by the case of 12. (Perhaps online suppliers would insist on the same??) I am a minimal a/c user, so a filter lasts longer than the standard 90 days. Storing a case of filters of this size would be a pain.

Thanks.

Reply to
wal

I took another tack. The size is fine for me, but I got tired of stocking, buying, etc. I went to the local HVAC company here. Gave them an old filter, and said to make me a washable one -- they bent up a nice galvanized frame with "rubberized horse hair," or whatever it is they use in the washable filters. $12 + time to drive 3 miles.

I simply pull it out once a month and hose it down with the hand hose in the shower. I spray water soluable filter oil on it to help it pick up the dirt. Same stuff I used to use in electronics equipment filters in another life.

Reply to
professorpaul

Pleated filters are normally changed every month under normal operating conditions.

So a case is going to last you a 1 - 1 1/2 years.

How many do you want and how much do you expect to pay?

Reply to
<kjpro

Sorry, but I disagree. They, pleated, are normally replaced every two to three months.

I use them in my own home and I would say most of my customers use pleated air filters.

Reply to
Moe Jones

Most people that purchase these filters...

  1. don&#39;t have the proper size required by equipment
  2. don&#39;t have very clean homes / environmental issues
  3. have poorly designed duct systems

Along with different run times for different areas across the US, monthly isn&#39;t unusual.

Reply to
<kjpro

Hey, we agree on something. It is impossible to give a time to change filters based on day, months , years, whatever. Too many variables so you have to take the time to check your filters and change as needed.

The unit that does my office has not been changed in 6 years and it still works fine.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Here&#39;s what I ended up doing, in case anyone is interested. 20" x 30" x 1" pleated filters are readily available. I bought one of these. I lined the intake opening with 1-1/2" wide strips of cardboard by caulking the strips to the walls of the opening. (The opening is blocked by medium-mesh chicken wire, so nothing gets sucked in.) I also attached small 1" wide pieces of molding along the two long sides to keep the 20" sides of the filter centered. So far, so good. I&#39;m assuming the relatively small reduction in area will not affect the system.

Reply to
wal

Wal;

I guess the part I don&#39;t understand is [why] you didn&#39;t purchase the case? It&#39;s not like you only need one. It&#39;s more like you should replace the filters often, and in less than two years, you&#39;ll go through a case easily.

By cutting down the intake, you may have cut some of the airflow down. [Not that you may or may not had enough to begin with.] Most systems seemed to be under performance from the airflow anyway.

Zyp

Reply to
Zephyr

(1) Minimal storage space in Florida houses. (2) Minimal usage of the system. I used the heat about 3 days last winter. I don&#39;t use the system at all in spring or fall. Total annual usage is therefore 3-4 months, I would guess. Even now in the summer I keep it off during the day while I&#39;m at work; the house cools off sufficiently between arrival at home and bedtime. (I have no problem with mildew.) Thus, a case of 12 would last a long time.

Reply to
wal