Oak Flooring care question

I read somewhere that polyurethaned oak floors should be coated with something every few year, but now can't find where it said that.

Is it true? If so, with what?

The article also said that the recommended material would not adhear if any wax or polish had been on the floor; my wife swears she has used nothing but cleaner.

Reply to
Toller

They should be recoated every few years if needed, with Poly or a Newer non yellowing water base. As in a high wear area as kitchen halls etc. It depends on how many coats you have originaly and recoating before wearing through the finish to wood . If you wear through and catch it quick you may not have to sand to bare wood, that is why you recoat. I had originaly 5 coats poly, 4 yrs later had it rescrened and

2 more. But Oil base Poly yellows as my floors are much darker. Water base doesnt. Most finishers put on the minimum as customers dont know more is better, and many floors wear through in 5 yrs. If wax was used wax remover must be used and even then there is risk. I imagine many new sealing and cleaner finishes contain products that may affect bonding of recoats. Hire a pro, have him check the floor and products used, and rescreen and recoat floor several coats. Also gloss is a clear finish, Satin is not as transparent and a softer hardness, The chemicals used to make Satin Cloud the finish and make it soft, as in it wears faster.
Reply to
m Ransley