Restoring oak floors.

We're nearing completion of our holiday home restoration project, next step is the upstairs floors. There's 100 sqm of oak boards, over an inch thick, not T & G, in pretty good condition, just dirty. When I suggested sanding and varnishing them our builder nearly had a fit, because he says varnishing them would seal the top, and cause the planks to warp, and rot from underneath. (The house has been unoccupied for two years).

They're going to be left uncovered, except for rugs, once finished, so what would be the best way to finish them after sanding?

Thanks in advance

Keith

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Keith

Well I can tell you how I have finished my oak floors and they look lovely ...

  1. I didnt sand them. The patina of age looks lovely and sanding removes it
  2. I scrubbed them with Flash and water and allowed to dry
  3. I beeswaxed them. Its possible to buy beeswax polish ready made but I got beeswax from my friendly local beekeeper 20GBP for a bucketful which is enough to wax every floor in the street. Grate or chill and smash to make it into small lumps. Pour real turpentine over it 22GBP for 5 litres which will do a few floors. Leave for a few days, stirring occasionally.

Wipe it into the surface, allow to dry, repeat, polish

It will look lovely, you will need to top up the wax on the most heavily trafficked parts occasionally. You might not want to wax under rugs. I waxed those areas once and then put a gripper mat under the rug

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

The message from "Keith" contains these words:

Why didn't you ask the builder? If varnishing is out of the question, what about waxing?

Reply to
Anne Jackson

I agree with the builder. Applying varnish to an oak floor is sacrilege and will make it look like a plastic laminate. Sanding it would also be a real shame because you will destroy any patina and again make it look plasticy - a wash with a strong detergent should be fine.

A good solution is to use an oil mixture consisting of boiled linseed oil, beeswax and genuine turpentine (not substitute). Apply the first coat fairly liberally then wipe off after a couple of hours. Repeat after 24hrs with less and again after a further 48. Don't allow it to puddle. Place any rags in a bucket of water outside - they can otherwise spontaneously combust.

Maintenance can be with a tiny amount of beeswax applied and then buffed using a floor polisher.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks all, beeswax and elbow grease it is, then. No wonder the builder thought I was mad. As for not asking him, my grasp of Bulgarian is very, very poor.

Thanks

Keith

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Keith

"repair not restore" I agree with the others that you need to do the absolute minimum and not remove the patina of age which is irreplacable. Clean and wax is the maximum intervention and I would be careful on the former. I deal with the philosophy and actual repair of old buildings and was for some time the lecturer to the professionals at the week long APAB course and so can speak with a modicum of experience of professionals have approach such matters over the last 130 odd years. Chris

Reply to
mail

Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings was founded by William Morris in 1877 to counteract the highly destructive 'restoration' of medieval buildings being practised by many Victorian architects. Today it is the largest, oldest and most technically expert national pressure group fighting to save old buildings from decay, demolition and damage.

George (dicegeorge)

Fascinating site, thanks George and Chris'

Reply to
Keith

Beeswax isn't ideal. It has too low a melting point and becomes tacky in summer. If it's going to be the sole ingredient, I would certainly think twice about using in in Bulgaria.

Commercial polishes contain a balance of waxes where beeswax and carnauba combined account for only about 25% of the total. More isn't better in this case.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Agreed. And whilst modern *varnishes* are not ideal, modern *polishes* may well be far better than the organic alternatives.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's a lot of prejudice about varnishes. They don't seal to the point where air and water vapour cannot pass. With ventilation under the boards, there shouldn't be any question of rotting.

As for them making things look like plastic, that is entirely in the hands of the person doing the finishing. You can make a wax finish look like varnish or vice versa depending on how much you apply and how you do it.

Modern polishes are usually emulsions of synthetic waxes with a melting point that's off the scale, but they don't perform well on bare wood. They don't have the bulk to fill the pores or the transparency to show off the wood. Good for sealed surfaces in commercial premises.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Do they still have any Bulgarian builders left in Bulgaria?

Owain

Reply to
Owain