NYC subway repair

He also needs to recover the cost of the generator the installation (not trivial in a classified location like a gas station) and maintaining the generator.
A better example is batteries. The news is saying they are simply out of batteries in New York New, Jersey and large areas of the northeast. An enterprising guy might load up a truck at the Walmart in Tennessee or Kentucky and drive up there but if he could only mark them up 10%, he isn't going to do it. They simply don't get batteries. Is that better? Ask the guy sitting in the dark with a dead radio how much batteries are worth.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Would it be gouging if he charged list price for the batteries, and $7.95 for "shipping?"
Don't like the price? No problem! Just don't buy.
wrote in message
A better example is batteries. The news is saying they are simply out of batteries in New York New, Jersey and large areas of the northeast. An enterprising guy might load up a truck at the Walmart in Tennessee or Kentucky and drive up there but if he could only mark them up 10%, he isn't going to do it. They simply don't get batteries. Is that better? Ask the guy sitting in the dark with a dead radio how much batteries are worth.

Another self inflicted problem. I always have some around, but a week before the storm hit I bought some extra. Stores had plenty and now I do too. I can keep lit for weeks. Oh, I also have plenty of bourbon on hand in case it is needed for medicinal purposes.
I wonder who decided that it's someone else fault, when people have a week of warning, but fail to take basic steps to prepare?
It's the government's fault, or Red Cross fault, or...

Another self inflicted problem. I always have some around, but a week before the storm hit I bought some extra. Stores had plenty and now I do too. I can keep lit for weeks. Oh, I also have plenty of bourbon on hand in case it is needed for medicinal purposes.
On Sun, 4 Nov 2012 06:44:20 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Or to keep YOURSELF lit???

But the storm was Monday and the lines started Tuesday and Wednesday. Knowing a storm was coming and warnings said to fill up, how many did? If you had less than a half tank during the storm, I don't feel to bad for you now. Most cars have a range of 350 miles or so and can go a week or more. You should have topped off last weekend.
Poor planning on your part does not make an emergency on my part.
I've never been able to justify a generator, but you won't see my house dark for weeks with no power. I have LED lights and plenty of batteries. And enough gas in the car for a week.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

True. But the expectation on the part of the masses was that everything would be back to almost normal within 24-36 hours.
In all the warnings leading up to the storm, for a week or more, did you EVER hear any reporter or journalist insist that you stock up with two weeks worth of food, fill your tank and any gas containers you had or could buy, or plan for ANY other long-range disruption?

Last October we had week long+ outages. The local TV stations were touting it can happen again and to stock up, fill gas tanks, etc. Most did, but some just don't have common sense.

Which I have always found interesting since most city and state emergency plans assume the individual is on their own for at least the first 24 hours and that outside help won't be on the ground for 72. The basic disaster supply from ready.gov says you need enough food and water for AT LEAST 3 days. Also FEMA, by law and mission statement, is only there to ADVISE and assist the locals. They can't run things and are required to take their cues from the locals.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Pretty much every emergency related organization has had the same 3 day kit recommendation for literally decades. More people are starting to take that seriously, but it's still a slow process to try to get people to take responsibility for themselves. There seems to be an entitlement mentality that thinks FEMA should be airdropping supplies and personal disaster assistants to each an every household within a few hours of the event.
On 11/3/2012 5:59 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Them Damn Yankee city dwellers don't know a country boy can survive. I think I heard that in a song. ^_^
TDD
My guess, is that a small number of NYC folks are well prepared. Wisely, they are staying totally out of sight. They don't want to be mobbed, looted, and killed to "bring them down to our level".

Them Damn Yankee city dwellers don't know a country boy can survive. I think I heard that in a song. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

There are plenty of rural Yankees who are doing just fine. The issue is city dweller disease, cities are a cancer on civilization.

They all tell you to fill your gas tanks here and to stock up on food and water. I have said it before but the best idea I have come up with is to pack your freezer with half liter water bottles long before the storm hits. I guess it all depends on how you understand hurricanes and the damage they cause. We have friends in Punta Gorda who were living an 18th century lifestyle for a couple months after Charley.
I have a dual fuel generator with 150 gallons of propane in the yard and I usually have about 50 gallons of gasoline in the shed. I have a boat so it stays fresh. ;-)
With a well and an R/O water is not really a problem as long as I can run the pump and we usually have plenty of food in the house.
In reality Publix (supermarket) does a great job of getting their stores open pretty fast after a storm. Most have generators to hold the coolers and they have always been well stocked. Most even have dry ice. Being a Florida company, they understand about building on high ground. I can get to mine by boat. Fortunately I live behind barrier islands and 3 miles of pretty much undisturbed mangrove forest so storm surge will be greatly mitigated. This is where the indians used to hide from hurricanes for the last 10,000 years.

Would any sane new yorker or jersey boy think there was a POSSIBILTY that if hit by "frankenstorm", there would not be EXTENSIVE damage to infrastructure? Or that there was even a SLIM possibility that repairs would be done in record time??????
If I lived in the path of a forcast storm of that magnatude - and that close to the ocean, with stormsurge forcasts like that - I'd be getting the H#!! out of Dodge!!!!!
It's bad enough when a blizzard or ice storm hits Central Ontario. We know SOMEONE is going to be out of power for a week.
We are prepared to exist in the cold - even if we have to sleep in 4 layers of clothes in a sleeping bag.
Being under 6 feet of water is a different story.

NYC has never been hit with the major problems it has now. Jersey is another story. I remember a few nasty storms that hit NJ over the past 60+ years. As a teenager, we went to the Jersey shore. One visit we had to drive around a few houses sitting in the middle of the street.
Sure, the news often over hypes bad weather, but sometimes it really does come the way they predict. Filling your gas tanks a few days before is pretty easy to do.
On Saturday, November 3, 2012 6:55:41 AM UTC-4, HeyBub wrote:

Where did you see that? All I heard on the news was how this storm had the potential to take out power for WEEKS, not hours.

Yes. So often in fact I got sick of it and changed channels to one that didn't have a news service.
On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 10:31:48 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Sure, the news said weeks, but most people don't pay attention. If they had filled their gas tanks before the storm the long lines would not exist.
On 11/2/2012 10:51 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

And your source of home heating and long term refrigeration is....?