Socket behind full-length window curtain.... allowed?

In my new extension, I'd like to have a socket hidden behind one of the the full-length curtains at one window. Is there any rule against that? Just wondered if it is considered a fire risk or anything.

Thank you,

Jim B

Reply to
Jim B

Not unless you plug an electric fire into the socket and cover that with the curtains. A socket behind the curtains is fine.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

On Fri, 25 May 2007 18:48:22 +0100, Jim B mused:

Nope, nothing against it but I'd be inclined to use it for only low power appliances.

Reply to
Lurch

I have some sockets positioned like this, and I tend to avoid using them with plugs with integral electronics such as wall warts, X10 controllers, as a fault in one of these could become significantly more serious if draped with flammable materials.

Although I don't think much of US regs, they do have some good ones regarding number and positions of sockets. Can't recall precise details, but something like you must be able to plug in an appliance with a 6' cord which is positioned anywhere around the edge of the room without the flex crossing a doorway.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Good point

And you have to have outlets every 24" on kitchen countertops etc etc.

Our regs just require installations to be "suitable" and "adequate" and leave it to the electrician's common sense.

Owain

Reply to
Owain