Not-so-weatherproof electrical box

I just disassembled a weatherproof box with a bubble cover over a switch. After only a year of service I found the interior of the box to be showing signs of rust. I called the supplier who said that the thin gaskets didn't hold up well (between the switch and the cover). He also said that the gaskets come with the bubble cover and that I would have to buy another cover to get another gasket. What the heck! Is that true? There has got to be a better mousetrap - er, gasket - out there.

Reply to
C & E

cornytheclown

That is why they call everything installed outside a wet location. In a practical sense you really can't keep the water out. In fact the

2008 NEC will require that devices installed outdoors will be required to be corrosion resistant. They know they will be wet sooner or later. Usually electricians drill holes in the bottom of boxes installed outside to let the water out. It is also a good idea to point the wirenuts up in the box so they won't fill up with water. That keeps your GFCIs from tripping as much when you get a blowing rain.
Reply to
gfretwell

You might try some silicone sealant. I have never done that, but it seems like it would probably do a pretty good job of keeping the water out.

Bill Gill

Reply to
Bill Gill

I wouldn't! or at least, would only around the top and sides, not bottom.

Previous owners did around the whole box. The devices (switches, outlets, etc) breath and condensation forms. The box will fill up until water comes running out the device. And I live in a dry desert...

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

Are existing receptacles, like spec grade, corrosion resistant or is this a new grade of device?

--bud--

Reply to
Bud--

This will be a new device as far as I can tell. It is certainly a new listing category. It is not unlike the current thinking at NFPA to mandate a device that does not exist. They mandated AFCI device types that didn't exist at the time. Some still don't.

Reply to
gfretwell

Am I the only person who's worried by this? I see this possibly becoming a situation like with CAFE or NHTSA's passive restraint requirements where immature technologies and/or requirements that are unfeasible or contrary to market forces are mandated and all sorts of problems and unintended consequences occur. Corrosion resistant wiring devices should be easy to accomplish but I wonder about AFCI's. Hopefully they will prove to be useful and not just an extra-cost item that ends up causing problems for homeowners.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Unless the coordinating committee changes it, all 15 and 20 circuits in a dwelling will be required to be AFCI of "the combination type" (upstream plus downstream arc) in 2008. That device did not exist when the rule was accepted and I am still not sure someone actually has a working one. They are performing "beta testing" in the customer's home at the customer's expense. Square D had a massive recal on their AFCIs and I doubt half of them will ever actually get replaced.

Reply to
gfretwell

Corrosion resistant devices have existed for many years, and are normally used in marine applications, or other corrosive environments. (My 1988 Bryant catalog has an entire section of corrosion resistant devices.)

The contacts are nickel plated, and the devices are normally yellow in color.

Of course, they don't make GFCI devices in corrosion resistant versions.

Reply to
Bob Vaughan