No more mouse poison

Was taking the trash out this morning and happened to look down and find a pile of mouse poison pellets laying in the middle of my driveway where any bird or idiot kid could eat them. For the past few years I have been using mouse poison in my garage because the mice get into my camping gear. The problem is that damn mice don't get killed until they have already hauled a substantial amount of the pellets to some other hiding spot. I had gotten a moving blanket out of the garage two days earlier and apparently the poison pellets had fallen out of it.
I don't want to poison anything except the mice -- but that isn't working -- so I am just going to buy a few multi-mouse traps and give up on the poison.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 3/20/2012 1:05 PM, Davej wrote:

We had four mice inside our house this winter. My wife insisted on laying poison down but I'm glad I did NOT. One we have dogs and a baby, and all three will chew on anything (we caught the baby trying to put the dog's ear in her mouth one afternoon).
Second when the mice finally die they stink up your attic or whereever they went for a couple of weeks.
I used old fashioned spring loaded mousetraps and peanut butter and a sticky glue pad. Two caught by the traps, two by the sticky pad.
Problem solved for another year.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 3/20/2012 12:21 PM, Duesenberg wrote:

LOL! you're wasting peanut butter. Secret is to put them along the baseboards, trigger side towards the wall and you don't even have to bait them. Learned it on some tv show and tried it. Mice are mostly blind anyway, and they will run right across the trigger and get KILT without bait.
--
Steve Barker
remove the "not" from my address to email
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 3/20/2012 2:42 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

the peanut butter but I think it is important to have a sensitive trigger on the trap. I've seen mice nibble it off an insensitive trap.
Poison, I don't like in the house. Sometimes a dead mouse in the wall will stink for several days. Glue traps, I don't like. I've seen mice chew off their leg trying to escape. Takes too long for them to die.
If you like cats, get a cat but they will not keep your home mouse free as they cannot access all the small places that mice can roam.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The package that had the mouse traps said use peanut butter as bait so I used 1/8th teaspoon. What the heck does 1/8th teaspoon PB cost if it doesn't hurt the effectiveness of the trap
The mice were going for my kitchen garbage but i saw one of 3 ways for them to go. Figured the PB might have lured them. Problem solved in two nights, and no smelly mice dying in the walls.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Rescue a cat from your local animal shelter and your problem will be solved and you will have a happy cat.
Frank
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 03/20/2012 03:30 PM, Frank from Deeeetroit wrote:
[snip]

I used to have a mouse problem, but it's been gone the last 3 years. Nibbles (
http://notstupid.us/anything/cat.5.jpg ) has been catching all the mice and other little animals.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.