Taking our our trash

This may be a stretch.

We have two trash containers that must be put out on our street each Thursday. They have two wheels. One is for recyclables, and the other for waste materials. Until recently, I could use an old 1997 Plymouth van to put them into the back of the fan, and drive them about 750' out to the street for a pickup, along with 7 other neighbors. Unfortunately, the van died. Now I have to roll the containers the 750' down our driveway and to the collection site where the pickup--paved all the way. I really don't like rolling to the pickup site.

I've contemplated buying an used pickup truck, but I really have much for a pickup truck. I've thought of maybe using something like a golf cart, but it would require some work to put a fixture on it that would hold the containers. Aside from that, I'm out of space in my garage to put a golf cart in it. Maybe a motorized wagon might work. Parachutes, zip lines, ... ? :-)

Comments?

Reply to
W. eWatson

How about a trailer? Find a junk one or just buy one of those Harbor Fright kits. Put a big caster on the tongue and you can drag it with anything but I have a ball on my lawn tractor and my golf cart. I drag my boat trailer around the house with them.

Reply to
gfretwell

I'd walk. Each round trip would take about 6 minutes.

If I tip my trash can about 30 degrees, I can lean the handle over the rim of the open trunk of my car. The spare tire is bolted in a well at the bottom of the trunk. I'd tie the handle to the wheel. I'd avoid sharp turns.

Reply to
J Burns

Walking is good exercise.

Reply to
Edward

Not only are there golf carts, but there are also similar small electric vehicles with flat beds, designed for hauling stuff around that would be more appropriate. You could check with local golf cart or utility vehicle dealers and find a used one. But they aren't exactly cheap. You could probably find a used pickup for less and get even more use out of it.

Reply to
trader_4

How much more would the trash hauler charge to come up your driveway and pick up the bins at the garage?

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Little unlicensed/off road trailer sounds good.

I sympathize with you watching neighbor out back with similar drive with maybe 10% downhill grade. He has a teenager doing it but when kids go away to school, tough job for older man.

Reply to
Frank

A few here mentioned that walking is good exercise and I agree completely. My wife and I try to get a walk in nearly every day...and at age 65 I'm only about 8 pounds heavier than I was when I was 20.

Since you no longer have the pickup truck I'd think you'd have room in it's place for a small trailer. Since it would not have to be road-worthy it would not have to be much more than a piece of 1/2" plywood and some wheels

Reply to
philo

A couple ideas come to mind:

  • Maybe one of the neighbors can do the carts, trade for some thing.
  • Do you have a riding lawn mower? That could help.
  • atachment of some kind to the back of your car
  • Hire neighborhood teens
  • Write your congressman, and ask for federal aid
  • Contact local military units, and see if they need exercise and field maneuvers
  • Buy the pickup you mention, and offer use of it to neighbors, to help with the expense
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Leave the bins down there and carry out smaller bags to the bin....if carrying a bag that far is a problem, get a folding shopping cart (not the store kind) to roll it down to the bins. Even a child's wagon would work. I have a nifty garden wagon/dumper that would haul heavier stuff but not easy on soft surface.

What ever you do, do not PUSH trash cans....my daughter got a compound fracture of her nose doing that. She was in a hurry to get it out of the driveway so she could pull her car in, the wheels dug in and she fell with the rim of the can cutting across the bridge of her nose. The plastic surgeon dug out pieces of plastic and said she was the third person he had operated on for the same sort of injury.

Reply to
Norminn

I met a guy who needed a pickup. But they were all priced out of his range. The guy worked for the state fire training, so he bought a van which was much cheaper, and used the auto extrication equipment at work to cut the top off. Instant pickup truck. Of course, not many people have this ability.

With these distances, I'd have to guess the OP or someone near by has a riding lawn mower. Which can be fitted with some kind of bracket to get the toters there and back.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hey, hey, hey! This is a home repair group.

Most have, or have access to, a Milwaukee Sawz-all.

Son, that's not saws some, that's saws ALL!

It will take longer, no doubt, but if the fireman could do it with the tools available to him, we could do it with the tools available to us!

Pop a chop blade in a circular saw, get some metal cutting blades for the Sawz-All and have at it.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

At risk of being off topic, I put windows in a work van using a HF metal shear (electric model) and then pop rivet plexi glass over the openings I made.

Last week, when I did exhaust work on the same van, I find that HF brand blades are Saws None, at least the metal blades. Just smoothed out the teeth and over heated. Metal cutting blades from Home Depot did the job. So, if you want a Sawzall, feed it a real brand of blade like Dewalt. Not a faux saw blade (faw saw?) like Horrid Fright.

Sad that his OP van died, that's disappointing.

I suspect that garden tractor will be useful, here.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My condolences to your daughter.

That said,I'd never have thought of that, and you may have helped a lot of people by writing it to the list.

Maybe the government needs to mandate the companies post a warning sticker "Do not push trash can while sleeping or in bath tub with hair dryer energized".

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

To add to thread, I spoke to someone from the UK about what they do.

Like op, I have 2 containers, one for recyclable and one for regular trash.

Friend in UK says they have about 7 different containers to separate the recyclables and different pick-up days.

I'd think the whole island would sink under the weight of all these trash containers ;)

Reply to
Frank

Modified Golf cart Trailer for car Trailer for an ATV Trailer for a bicycle/tricycle Walk Rollerblades/rollerskates

You can use a wagon such as this

and attach it to almost anything or simply load it with the cans, walk and pull it.

Reply to
Meanie

I figured that out after I bought my Harbor Freight reciprocating saw. The saw still works just fine, but I buy blades someplace else.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

I hope you're not serious. No offense to the daughter but her negligence was due to her hurried agenda. Do we seriously need more government interventions because a few people fail to view the obvious or common sense then fall prey to the consequences?

Reply to
Meanie

Thanks, needed the laugh. I guess PC, or politically correct, has taken hold in UK.

Good thing they are not Guam, one of our US elected ridicules said that might tip over and sink.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

By gosh, I think he's got it! It's the American way. Absence of warning sticker is cause for suit.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon