No Attic?

Moved into a 2 story brick house built in 1978. Ist owner told me there is no attic. I have searched all the closets for any kind of entrance into it, none found. Is this a normal setup? How do I insulate this home without access to it? and how can I get to the electric if there is a problem?

Reply to
TigerPaw40

Art Todesco

There are some homes with no attics. They are generally ranches and have cathedral (arched) ceilings. Then there are homes with attic spaces and no entry. If you have no entry and the house was built that way it means there is nothing up there requiring "normal" service. There may be wire runs but there are no junction boxes for electrical. No HVAC units etc.

If you want to add insulation or go exploring you will need to cut an access hole.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

my home doesn't have a portal to access the attic, but the gable vent is removable...the OP can check for that...

Reply to
Chris Perdue

If you want access to the hidden space between wall and roof it can be done. The wall is a sheet of half inch gypsum board nailed or screwed to vertical studs at 16 inches on center. A carpenter can cut through this, frame the opening, and build an access panel.

TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

From looking at the construction it should be very easy to tell if there is an attic. For example, if it's all cathedral ceilings, then there is no attic. If there is an attic area and it has no access, which would be unusual, unless it were a tiny unusable space, then it should have access.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

Man, those houses must be really weird. No attic. Probably don't have a basement,either.

Reply to
granjero

TigerPaw40:

T > Moved into a 2 story brick house built in 1978. Ist owner told me there is o T > attic. I have searched all the closets for any kind of entrance into it, no e T > found. Is this a normal setup? How do I insulate this home without access t

T > it? and how can I get to the electric if there is a problem?

Sure: the original house here is a "one-and-a-half" story because the upstairs room is in where the attic would. The ceilings here a partially angled because the roof is on the other side: ___ / \ | | | |

If your home has a low-angle roof there probably is no attic space anyway, or not enough to bother using for storage. You might be able to access from the outside via a vent in the gable.

  • Oxymoron: Pretty Ugly
Reply to
barry martin

In alt.home.repair on 16 Nov 2004 08:08:33 -0800 snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Chet Hayes) posted:

IIRC, my friend has some space between his cathedral ceiling and his roof. I'm not sure what an attic is: maybe it has to have a horizontal floor or room enough to crawl in it. I don't think his has either, but it does I think already have access. I don't know if he or the builder or a previous owner put it in. Someone ran wires for ceiling fan(s), and he's thinking of putting in spot or flood lights in/on the ceiling.

I'm sending him a copy and maybe he'll remind me what the distance is from the ceiling to the roof.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman