Ni-Cad Battery Storage

Hi;
I picked up an 18 volt Dewalt Cordless Drill and a Dewalt Impact gun that use the same batteries. Each item came with 2 batteries so I now have 4 batteries. Batteries cost 90 dollars each and I have four of them. I would like to store two of them for a couple years. I would use two of them now, and then when they go bad, break out the other two. Is it possible to store these batteries? What is the best way to accomplish this if it is possible?
Thanks Pat

They can be stored for years and years without maintenance or degradation. Just store them in a mostly discharged state preferably in a cool area. Never freeze a Ni-Cad or run the battery down below .8 volts per cell.

Make sure they are really ni-cads. Some of the other recharagabel batteries have a life time of around 2 to 3 years even if you do not use them.
I think I would rotate all of the batteries.

My experience is that nicads will last nearly forever as long as they are in use. Typically I'll recharge once or twice a week with universal remote control batteries getting least at about every three months.
Leave the batteries unused in a draw somewhere for 9 months and they'll be ruined. Recharging twice a year might not be bad advice.

My experience, 25 plus years tells me they will NOT even come close to lasting 25 years, even with normal use.

Please site a link as to how a Ni-Cad becomes unusable (non recoverable) after non use of 9 months.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

If you've been reading, you already have a link available for that information.

He hasn't the skill.

unusable and drained but not unrecoverable.
On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 23:12:21 GMT, "Twayne"

Please quote. I'll wait.............

Please take a reading comprehension course.
Which word in "my experience" don't you understand? I've had at least ten sets of batteries run for 2-3 years with no problems, go out of use, and then be unuseable after 7-12 months.
From the post you were responding to..........

I'll quote you "Please take a reading comprehension course."
Does unusable equal unrecoverable? Who is it that needs the refresher?

I'll ask you again: which word in "my experience" don't you understand?

They are the same. Recovering nicads is a myth. Zap them and they'll fail again within a few weeks.
On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 21:32:55 -0000, AZ Nomad

I don't understand why you continue to talk apples when I have repeatedly talked oranges and pointed out the difference between the two.

A uncharged Ni-Cad is unusable but is certainly recoverable and then usable, so how can they be the same? Example: Ni-Cads sitting on the shelf at the local K-Mart for a year or more either as spare parts or included with a cordless phone. Are they unusable? Are they unrecoverable?