News reader recommendations

A couple months ago my news provider, NewsGuy, changed the way they number the articles. Since then my news reader, Agent 6.0 has been very slow in retrieving new headers.

NewsGuy support says I should be getting headers as fast as I was before their change. Agent support says as long as I have certain settings set the way I do then it isn't Agent's fault.

So the only way to sort this out is to try a different news reader. What recommendations do you have?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Try Mozilla Thunderbird . Pretty simple to set up and it has adaptive filtering . It "learns" what you delete , plus has a regular killfile IIRC . If you're running WinXP , you might try OE , I use it and like it .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Thunderbird is standard. I've also seen people whose opinion I value recommend something called Mesnews. But I've never used anything other than OE6, and I don't want all the fancy colorcoding or other extra features, so I can't offer an informed opinion.

Reply to
Mayayana

Mayayana explained on 8/02/2016 :

I have found MESNews similar to the old OE6 and it seems to work just fine. :-)

Reply to
John G

I use Agent on my main computer, but Mozilla Thunderbird Portable on a stick to carry to work or other computers. I like it a lot. My news provider is Giganews for $3 a month. They have been reliable.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yeah, I've d> There are several configuration settings that can be used to speed up > downloading.

Not checked & never has been.

Not checked & never has been.

That is the way I sort my subscribed, non-binary groups.

Nothing changed there with my AV and I don't use Avast.

I am trying thunderbird now but it's so different from Agent that it's apples and oranges. I'm going to try some free trial period on another news server using Agent and see how that works.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Here's one example of a free newsgroup provider < no binary > freenews.netfront.net Perhaps better than the bother of registering for free trials .. I've been using it for several years, since my ISP dropped usenet. John T.

hubops

I'm a Thunderbird fan too. Also use it as email client. Very easy to set up.

Reply to
Frank

Try 'pan'.

Scott Lurndal

Gordon Shumway wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've used Xnews for a very long time. Love it. However, You should know that it may no longer be supported - better check in case you are interested.

Reply to
KenK

I had that problem with v1.93. Online>Catch Up With Selected Groups fixed it. You have to do that every couple week or so. Think I purged newsgroups too. It resets a couple files keeping track of header numbers. Funny thing is with my new computer I don't have to do it. Probably something to do with how it handles memory. Don't know if v6.0 uses the same scheme as v1.93, but it's a good bet it does.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I love Pan. It's my go too reader on Linux and Windows. Pan+e_s=win!

Reply to
wg_2002

KenK wrote in news:XnsA5A86D53CF6CBinvalidcom@

130.133.4.11:

I've used Xnews for a long time also. I have never had any problems.

Reply to
Fay

I found the problem!!!

Well, sort of. I have a corrupt filter or filters causing the slowdown. I thought it was my provider because the slowdown started roughly the same time as their numbering change took place. Now all I have to do is figure out which one(s) is(are the problem.

Thanks to all who responded.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Part of the problem may be your filters, but last year I tried Newsguy again after not having used them for a long time, and I found them to be slow when logging in and connecting, and also when retrieving headers.

News.individual.net was faster, but I finally ran across an offer from Supernews that was very affordable. I'm really happy with their service. It's fast and they have good retention. (Some newsgroups have available posts going back to 2003.)

I'm not a fan of Agent, but you probably wouldn't like the newsreaders that I like. :) If Agent is working for you, then keep on using it. You should be able to resolve the slowness, either by changing settings or by moving to a new news provider.

Reply to
Bud Frede