New Whirlpool washing machine LSR9434PQ

Just got a new washing machine. One thing that is different from older Whirlpool models is that it seems you must start the wash with the dial exactly on a pre-defined start point (visible line where the dial clicks). If you don't start exactly on a pre-defined start point you could get unexpected results like the machine might start in spin-mode instead of washing. The requirement of starting exactly on a pre-defined point seems to be by design, but is definitely different from the way older machines worked. With this new one, even if I start slightly beyond a pre-defined start point it won't start normally. I assume nothing is wrong with my machine, right? (They probably just changed the way the wash cycle knob works)
J.

I assume you have one of the new models with an electronic dial type timer. No mechanical clock that you could start a little late. Basically a push button timer but simpler to read as a dial and less likely to scare off the consumer who is afraid of electronic buttons on a washer.>

Hi,
Model# is??
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Some model# helps.

Forgot to add, that is -part- of the model# in the title. Then we all can see what yours looks like :)
<<Forgot to add, that is -part- of the model# in the title. Then we all can see what yours looks like :)
jeff.>>
My understanding is that LSR9434PQ is the whole model number.
J.
jeff wrote:

I picked the closest one LSR9434PQ0, and the manual says on that one **Push in the Cycle Control knob and turn it clockwise to the wash cycle you want. Reduce the wash time when using a small load size setting. Pull out the Cycle Control knob to start the washer.**
So it looksl ike it should start on other spots besides just the line marking.
<<So it looksl ike it should start on other spots besides just the line marking. >>
True, it does say this in the instruction manual, but each cycle gives you more than one pre-defined time line to start the cycle on. In other words, if I recall correctly, there are at least two lines (likely at least 3) that you can can start a cycle on.
So, "reduce the time" just may mean "start from one of the lines with a smaller wash time." I guess I could call the 800 number just to rule out a problem, but I suspect it is designed to work the way it does. Granted, if it is indeed working as intended, then they should have clarified that "you must start exactly on a line" in the manual (to prevent confusion).
Jeff