New wax ring for toilet bowl?

I only ask this question because I hate the thought of doing it and am not sure it is necessary. We have a toilet on the second floor. It is in a true water closet -- 3' x 5'. There is no sign of any leakage around the toilet or on the first floor ceiling. However, once in awhile, mostly when it is very hot upstairs, this tiny bathroom has an unpleasant odor to it. This seems to happen even when to bowl has been thoroughly scrubbed and sanitized. I am considering pulling the bowl to see if the wax ring has some seepage. But, before I do, is it possible that this odor is coming from a vent someplace or from the sewer line?
Make sure the tub and sink traps are not empty when this is happening. Sometimes wierd things happen with the vents, debris , strange winds , etc because not all plumbing jobs are optimal. In addition in a very old house I have seen vent piping rusted through and leaking sewer gases to the interior. I doubt it is the toilet, but it could be the soil stack that rises up through the roof . Because it is intermittant my guess is some event is sucking the water from tub or sink trap.
Ike wrote:

you don't really describe the odor except to say it is unpleasant. is it humid when it is hot, and is there a lot of condensation on the tank? this could lead to musty odors in hot humid weather. if it smells like sewage, then something is open that shouldn't be. i think with no sign of seepage i wouldn't bother with the wax ring. good luck.
Yes, yes, and yes.......
Before you rip the toilet out, go in the attic, crawl space, or whatever is above there and inspect ALL vent pipes. I have seen them rust thru from the condensation, even saw one that had a 1.5 inch vent pipe totally disconnected from the cast iron stack. Also, check the sink in that room for bad drain pipes. I know there is no tub in such a small room. If all of that checks OK, then remove the toilet and replace the wax ring. You could also have a bad vent pipe inside the wall, which is usually right near or behind the toilet. That will require wall removal, so check that last. One other thing. Is there a lower roof with another vent outside the window to that room? The odor could just be sucked into the window.
Mark
On 5 Aug 2006 09:18:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com wrote:

IMHO:
I would check for dry traps first. See if you wash basin is the source.
Removing the toilet to see if the wax ring needs replacing is kinda weak. Meaning, once you removed the bowl, you have to replace the ring.
So...... I would close all the windows. Put on the other exhaust fans on. Now sniff around. See if you notice any air coming in around the floor and bowl.
Just a guess, trying to prevent you having a fun time messin with wax rings. :)
later,
tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com