New toy

Saw a new - to me - gadget in a newly arrived catalog. "Lazer Bond Rapid Repair Welder". Supposed to work with most materials. Put a dab of resin on the joint to be glued, then zap it for three seconds with the included UV battery-operated laser. $10. Doesn't say how much resin is included or if resin refills are available.
Better than the fast glues?
Anyone tried this new toy?
TIA
On 10/05/2015 8:54 AM, KenK wrote:

By coincidence was on one of the late local OTA TV channels last night was first time I'd seen it, too...

No idea...

As of yet, anyway, no...
On 10/5/2015 8:54 AM, KenK wrote:

Sure sounds like a "toy" my dentist uses. Material is cured - near instantly - with a concentrated UV light source. Perhaps he figures that I'm old enough to know better, but when he's used it, I don't get any of that "when you're eating go easy on that side of your mouth for awhile."
On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 09:30:55 -0500, Unquestionably Confused

I'm suspicious. The light source the dentist uses gets hot enough it has a built in cooling fan and they shield their eyes from the light. That little UV LED one or two AAA battery light in the "toy" commercial hardly seems like it would be enough to make any difference. The stuff they use to attach rear view mirror mounts to your car windshield relies on the UV light from the sun to cure, this may be the same stuff marked up 100% and packaged with a $2 UV LED flashlight.
On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 8:54:27 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

They use the word "lazer" because it isn't a laser...just high-intensity UV like your dentist might use. I'm not saying it doesn't work...but pointing out the hype.

In alt.home.repair, on 5 Oct 2015 13:54:22 GMT, KenK

No, but I saw it for sale under t he name 60-second Fix, or something with a number and seconds in the name.
My dentist shone something like that on something he did to my teeth 2 or 3 years ago. Maybe it was a phoney tooth that he painted to match my real ones. I'd ask him but I had an emergency and he basically ignored me -- which I find incredible -- and I'm not on good terms with him now.
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 05 Oct 2015 08:11:26 -0700, Oren

Yeah, that's the one. I was groggy so 5 seconds seemed like 60.

On 10/5/2015 9:54 AM, KenK wrote:

Don't know what the resin composition is. Could be anything.
Refill would have to be the same resin containing the UV activated catalyst.
On 10/5/2015 9:54 AM, KenK wrote:

Yep, saw it and want to try it.
It was invented by a dentist.
4ax.com:

Thinking, but probably not. They want $4 handling, plus $10 for laser & resin. Nothing else in the catalog I particularly want. I'm not that curious. However, if I saw it in a local store for $10 I'd be very tempted, or if there was something else in the catalog I really wanted.
KenK posted for all of us...

Come on! Buy it! Then you can repair teeth and fix stuff like a Xspert.
--
Tekkie

Don't need to. Don't have any.
KenK posted for all of us...

What about mine?
--
Tekkie

Didn't get them pulled all at once. Had no uppers for years - they went a few at a time till remaining molars on one side and fronts went in two sessions.
Lowers went a bit slower - three sessions I think it was..
Yes, it hurt! He used the modern version of novocaine. Shots hurt more than extraction. But recovery only took a few days as I remember.

These weren't implants. Just ald-fashioned glue-in-every-day dentures. Can't afford new-fangled implants.

Per KenK:

Sounds like what my dentist uses when he puts in a filling.
Stuffs it with white epoxy goo, hits it with a UV light... and the stuff goes off within seconds.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 10/05/2015 04:00 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Smells like structural acrylic resin to me. We didn't use a UV cure but once you've worked with it it's not a smell you forget. I don't find it unpleasant.
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 05 Oct 2015 19:40:50 -0600, rbowman

I don't remember there being any smell at the dentist's office.
On 10/6/2015 2:27 AM, micky wrote:

Methacrylate resins are generally used in dental work. Methyl methacrylate can be smelled at levels below 1 ppm.
Acrylic resins are those usually cured with UV light. The UV activates the catalyst.