New pool owners here....

Thanks for the advice Mark. This person who is supposedly using this new type of heater is in a house near Jacksonville, Florida. What would pool heat pump for a 25,000 gallon pool cost?
Bill
Bill writes:

Many $1000s.

Depends on how fast you want it to heat... Generally, the largest pool heat pumps I've seen at the online pool stores are just over 100K BTU. These cost around $3K. You can get an 85K BTU for around $2K, but prices don't go much below this.
Compare this with gas heaters that typically begin around 100K BTU and get up to the 500K BTU range.
What you really need is some tolerance for cold water, else you can go bankrupt. I live in the Seattle area (not hot), and can keep the pool around 70F with a cover, and maybe reach 80F on the hotter weeks. Water that is 80F seems quite warm to me, especially when the outside temp in near 90F.
If you want to keep your pool like a hot tub, then its going to cost a lot of money no matter what source you choose. A cover, especially at night, will save quite a bit, but could also be a major hassle depending on how easy the cover goes on and off.
Augmenting the pool with solar heat is probably the cheapest method, but you need a lot of roof area.
--
Mark
Kent, WA

Thanks! I'm gonna actually use that solar blanket this season to see how much it helps me maintain the temperature in the pool. I suppose it works.
Bill
Bill writes:

Norfolk & Waay:
http://www.norfolkandwaay.com /
Bill writes:

Sounds like you are being suckered by a tankless water heater salescrook. One with church references *shiver*.
On Sun, 02 May 2004 14:47:18 -0500, Richard J Kinch

so do tankless water heaters work?
Bill
Nancy,
I am in Arizona with a 20K gallon pool. Water temp is 76+ and air temps mid 90s.. I am adding 1 inch of water a week. I can't imagine anyone in the Northeast with higher evap rates than us... I would stick with leak detection.

Thanks! He agrees that THAT much water was a bit excessive for evaporation. I'm sure you read my previous post about the improvement since he was here last week? Something loose perhaps? He tightened all skimmer plates, etc. Nancy :-)