New lights, noisy ballast- it's annoying.

I just installed some new Lithonia 8' high output fluorescent fixtures in my shop and noticed after a couple day's use that one of them has quite a noisy hum coming from it's ballast. Would I be correct in assuming that a new light shouldn't have a noisy ballast? Any input is appreciated. Thanks, Jerry

Reply to
IRONDOG

My experience is that these lights do have noisy ballast. Not as bad as some, but still they are not what I would call quiet. However I'm keeping mine. I like the light. If I need a replacement I will try to find something with electronic ballast.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Since its only one of the group return it or call the mnfg. perhaps a ground is missing, loose connection

Reply to
m Ransley

I may be wrong, but my recollection is that all of the units with T-8, high output tubes HAVE an electronic ballast. Irondog's just got a bad one.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

If only one buy another, switch ballasts and return it.

Reply to
Art

Yes, this ballast does say "electronic" on it. Thanks everyone for the replies. Jerry

Reply to
IRONDOG

Verify that they are grounded properly. This can be an issue with some electronic ballasts.

HO and VHO have never been noted for being quiet. That is why they are usually mounted in areas that it is not an issue.

Do they quiet down after they get warm?

Reply to
SQLit