Neew Years Resolutions 2014

Wow, it's Jan 1st and darn...it's the coldest day of the year.

As to running, I jogged almost every day for 15 years and guess what happened as a result? I eventually had to get my knees replaced.

Anyone who is jogging or thinking of doing so...I suggest WALKING instead.

Now, as to my weight and why I do not plan to gain any more:

It has nothing to do with health, I am simply too cheap to go out and buy new pants!

Reply to
philo

You can tell all of the anti-Christian lies you want, as often as you like, but it doesn't make them any more true. The dates are far more different than that because of changes in the calendars. Christmas was pegged as December-25 because it is nine-months after the "historical" Easter. The story is that Christ was conceived and died on the same date, so...

Reply to
krw

I wonder how many people in your area would give away an elliptical if you placed an ad in the paper. That's probably one of those presents husbands shouldn't give their wives, especially if the second present is a digital scale.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

We do have an exercise bike and I used it all the time when I was recovering from my knee replacements. My wife used it too and lost weight...but as with most exercise equipment , fell into disuse.

BTW: My wife also got rid of our old scale and got a digital one... that plan was ill conceived as we still weight just the same... However I was finally able to weigh our cats accurately.

Reply to
philo

and easter was on what date 2000 years ago or for that matter 1000 years from now

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Ask the scholars who set the date for Christmas, dumbass. This *was* how the date for Christmas was set. It was *not* to compete with the pagan solstice celebrations. Easter was on the same date today as it will be in 1000 years. The future doesn't change history, though you lefties try.

Reply to
krw

Quite honestly, I would expect that if 500 or 600 years ago anyone made the assertion that Jesus was conceived and died on the same date because a normal human pregnancy is 9 months, and Christmas is 9 months after Easter, they would have been burned or boiled in oil as a heretic.

You see, Christian doctrine is that Mary's was an "Immaculate Conception", meaning that she was still a virgin when she gave birth. To suggest that the pregnancy followed much the same course as any normal pregnancy would

have a distinctly agnostic/athiest flavour to it. The conception certainly wasn't normal, so there would be no expectation that the ensuing pregnancy would be the same as for any normal human baby.

No one actually knows the date of birth of Jesus of Nazareth.

Also, I stand corrected. The shortest day of the year in 2013 was December 21, not December 23rd as I had previously stated. 2000 years ago, the shortest day of the year occured on or about December 25th, and to many pagan cultures that represented the end of one year and the beginning of a new one. 2000 years ago, the Romans celebrated "Saturnalia" on the winter solstice, and it was one of the most prominant holidays on the Roman calendar. Early Christians picked December 25th to celebrate the birth of Jesus because to do so would allow them to join in the festivities along with their fellow Roman pagans. As Christianity grew in popularity, and paganism waned, Christmas became the more prominant celebration, but it is still celebrated on December 25th.

Reply to
nestork
[snip]

One of my cats seems to have figured out how to weigh himself: Get on scale, get off, wait for it to show 0, get back on, wait for result.

BTW, He's a big cat at 17.8 pounds. The "keyboard assistant" I posted about once (

).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Yep! Both of my cats are black (both fixed)

the female is 9.5 pounds and the male is 12 pounds

The biggest cat I ever had was 22 pounds but 17.8 is right up there.

The only problem is...my cat is sooo stupid...whenever I wrestle with him he always scratches me...he just plain never learns.

And lazy! You would not believe it...Whenever I take a nap...and wake up and...there he is sleeping!

However, there sure as hell are not any mice around here!

Reply to
philo

except krwless

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Tiny cats. We have a year-old that's about 8 pounds and a 13YO that's

18 pounds.

We lost a 27 pounder, a year ago (autoimmune issue, they think). Maine Coons get huge.

What's to learn? You play with him and he scratches, yet you play with him anyway.

We had one that would bring them home, alive.

Reply to
krw

Quite honestly, you're wrong. That is *exactly* how the Church fixed the date for Christmas.

She was conceived by God, of course. Man was, of course, created in God's image. Mary was, of course, human. Do try to think this through.

The Church thinks it knows the date of Easter. It knows he was born and died on the same date. Do try to follow along.

You're wrong, of course, but don't let that stop you from hating Christians.

Reply to
krw

Malformed, like all Christian hating lefties, lies, of course. As Malformed constantly demonstrates, lefties can do nothing but.

Reply to
krw

were the years shorter, too?

Reply to
RobertMacy

Appearing in Scripture, isn't it written, that Conception was Dec 25th, Birth Sept 29, and Pascal [Passover] that's STILL well documented and does NOT necessarily occur on a Sunday!]?

I use the word Scripture and not bible, because 'bibles' often do NOT reflect Scripture.

Reply to
RobertMacy
[snip]

I've been scratched twice. The first time was a mistake and he never did it again. The other time I was holding another cat and he was surprised by an enthusiastic 82-pound pit bull dog.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

My New Years Resolution is to stay alive and prove those doctors wrong after they sent me home to die. I was dropped from hospice care after six months when they figured out I wasn't dying fast enough, I actually improved. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Are you a warlock? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I'll be cheering you on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks but watch those horrible P.L.L.C.F. spew hate and write that they want for me or anyone else they disagree with to die. It's a typical characteristic of those of their ilk who claim to be anti- violence, antiwar, love for the poor and those who are disabled. I find it bizarre that anti gun and anti 2nd Amendment nutjobs want the people they disagree with to be shot dead by government agents if they refuse to give up their rights and firearms. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas