Neew Years Resolutions 2014

I think it's based on "government guns: good; citizen guns: bad". Shot dissidents good. Or some thing about like that.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

oh good, krwless is a dissident
On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 11:41:02 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

If believing in the Constitution, as it was intended, makes me is dissident, then I *am* a dissident. At least I'm not a lefty loser, living in mommy's basement.

ah, the fresh stink of hypocrisy and disguised so poorly
On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 11:40:28 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Translation: the truth hurts.
On 12/31/13 4:52 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

sneak up on me later in the year.

New car, new computer, new printer..... less searching for repair tips.
On 12/31/2013 5:52 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

...not to make resolutions anymore.

I did that 20 years ago. It's worked perfectly.
On 12/31/2013 5:52 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Work even less. Lose 10 pounds.

try to save krwless's soul
On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 21:04:35 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Try to get Malformed to tell the truth or go away.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz;3175103 Wrote: > On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 21:04:35 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Ya see, the reason we celebrate Christmas on December 25 is because 2000 years ago, that was the shortest day of the year. Now it's December 23rd, but because of the gradual change in the Earth's tilt in it's orbit around the Sun, 2000 years ago the shortest day of the year was December 25th, and the Romans would celebrate that day as the end of one year and the beginning of a new year.
And, being the beginning of a brand new year, the Romans had lots of customs associated with the passing of one year into the next. One of them was that people who loaned money during the year should repay it by December 25th. Also, promises made during the year should be made good by December 25th. Yet another was that any arguments started during the year should be resolved or forgotten by December 25th. All of this was because of the official belief that there was no guarantee that there would be another year starting after December 25th in which to attend to those matters, and so any unresolved issues should be settled by December 25th in case there wasn't another year to follow, and the days kept getting shorter until there was permanent night.
The Romans were wise. December 25th is an excellent time to forget any arguments or hard feelings that arose during the previous 359 days.
--
nestork

Speaking of Romans:
The origin of our word "soap" almost certainly comes for the name of Mount Sopa just outside of the city of Rome.
2000 years ago, Roman women would wash their clothes in the streams that ran off of Mount Sopa after a rain because doing so would get their clothes cleaner than washing them in any other stream or river at any other time.
Nowadays we understand that the reason for this was because Mount Sopa was also the place where Romans would go to make sacrifices to their Gods. Vendors at the base of Mount Sopa would sell small animals and birds to be used as sacrifices to the the God's favour in granting a request. Romans would burn a pidgeon (for example) to ask the God's to ensure their decision to sell their cart is a good one. They might burn a whole lamb to ask the God's favour in ensuring their daughter's marriage is a success.
So, the fat melted off the sacrificial animal's body would mix with the alkaline ash from the wood burned to sacrifice that animal to form a crude kind of soap that would dissolve in the waters that ran down the slopes of Mount Sopa after a rain. It is this dissolved soap that existed in the water of the streams running down Mount Sopa after a rain that was responsible for the fact that clothes cleaned in those streams came out significantly cleaner.
This Earth we live on doesn't come with a User's Manual. We have to learn every thing the hard way... by observation. Whatever doesn't agree with oberserved result must therefore be theoretically wrong, and we have to modify our theory in order for our predictions to agree with what we observe through experimentation.
It's this test of whether or not prediction jives with experimental results that drives the science we call "research". It's only through that research that we actually learn anything about the world around us.
--
nestork

On Wed, 1 Jan 2014 07:47:57 +0100, nestork

You can tell all of the anti-Christian lies you want, as often as you like, but it doesn't make them any more true. The dates are far more different than that because of changes in the calendars. Christmas was pegged as December-25 because it is nine-months after the "historical" Easter. The story is that Christ was conceived and died on the same date, so...

and easter was on what date 2000 years ago or for that matter 1000 years from now

On Wed, 01 Jan 2014 13:04:20 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Ask the scholars who set the date for Christmas, dumbass. This *was* how the date for Christmas was set. It was *not* to compete with the pagan solstice celebrations. Easter was on the same date today as it will be in 1000 years. The future doesn't change history, though you lefties try.

Appearing in Scripture, isn't it written, that Conception was Dec 25th, Birth Sept 29, and Pascal [Passover] that's STILL well documented and does NOT necessarily occur on a Sunday!]?
I use the word Scripture and not bible, because 'bibles' often do NOT reflect Scripture.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz;3175436 Wrote: >

Quite honestly, I would expect that if 500 or 600 years ago anyone made the assertion that Jesus was conceived and died on the same date because a normal human pregnancy is 9 months, and Christmas is 9 months after Easter, they would have been burned or boiled in oil as a heretic.
You see, Christian doctrine is that Mary's was an "Immaculate Conception", meaning that she was still a virgin when she gave birth. To suggest that the pregnancy followed much the same course as any normal pregnancy would
have a distinctly agnostic/athiest flavour to it. The conception certainly wasn't normal, so there would be no expectation that the ensuing pregnancy would be the same as for any normal human baby.
No one actually knows the date of birth of Jesus of Nazareth.
Also, I stand corrected. The shortest day of the year in 2013 was December 21, not December 23rd as I had previously stated. 2000 years ago, the shortest day of the year occured on or about December 25th, and to many pagan cultures that represented the end of one year and the beginning of a new one. 2000 years ago, the Romans celebrated "Saturnalia" on the winter solstice, and it was one of the most prominant holidays on the Roman calendar. Early Christians picked December 25th to celebrate the birth of Jesus because to do so would allow them to join in the festivities along with their fellow Roman pagans. As Christianity grew in popularity, and paganism waned, Christmas became the more prominant celebration, but it is still celebrated on December 25th.
--
nestork

except krwless