Need suggestions for renewing old oak floor

Page 2 of 2
Norminn wrote...

That's quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read, if true, which I doubt, the people responsible knew nothing about finishes. First, the only time shellac should be used under varnish is as a spit coat to seal an improperly prepared or contaminated (wax or silicone) surface so the varnish will adhere; second, you never put a hard finish (varnish) over a softer finish (shellac) except as noted above; third, laqueur has all the advantages of both varnish and shellac is the only finish used on fine pianos AFAIK.
--Willy
"Norminn" wrote

I agree with your comments about the look of many polys. I have had good luck with a product called OS Hardwax Oil. (available via mail through the Environmental Home Center and probably other places). It seems to preserve the character of our 100 year old floors, holds up well in the kitchen, and, as a wax-based finish, can be spot repaired because new finish blends with old. as a bonus, it is supposedly more friendly to the installer in terms of fumes and off-gassing. so they say.
--
forrest_m
forrest underscore m at hotmail