Need indicator light in the mailbox to see if anything is inside

Page 4 of 5

Judy Zappacosta wrote:

Here is one of them. They have been making all types for at least 20 years.
http://www.atrendyhome.com/mailchimealert.html
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:45:33 -0500, Tony wrote:

That sounds promising. It seems to work on the door opening and not on mail being placed in the mailbox.
I wonder how that chime works in an all-metal mailbox. (How does it figure out that the door has been opened?)
The ad doesn't say HOW it figures out that the mailbox has been opened.
My mailbox looks similar to this one:
http://romangladiator.biz/images/016_ak9r.jpg
Judy Zappacosta wrote:

I'm pretty sure it senses motion from opening the door. It makes sense because it says it will not work on vertical hinges but it works with the three pictures. On a vertical hinge it would only swing out, not tip over.
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:17:57 +0000, Judy Zappacosta wrote:

Discription below each picture. I have posted the how to before but these pictures should help.
http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/rlm_photos/?action=view&current 65995120.jpg http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/rlm_photos/?action=view&current 65995119.jpg http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/rlm_photos/?action=view&current 65995118.jpg http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/rlm_photos/?action=view&current 65995116.jpg http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/rlm_photos/?action=view&current 65995117.jpg

Cool.
-snip-

Well done. It also has the advantage of not being a notice to bad guys driving by that you've got mail.
Jim
http://www.mahvelousmailboxes.com/mail_alerts/mail_alerts.htm

The "rules" related to this item make me a bit skeptical:
http://www.mahvelousmailboxes.com/mail_alerts/mailMinder_mail_alert.htm
From the web page:
(This is a non-returnable item-which means that if it's defective, and you have read and understand how it's intended to operate, you will be sent a replacment from the manufacturer, and in no case will be refunded any money or credit).
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 10:26:22 -0600, tom wrote:

I already had the parts but I doubt you could spend a dollar for everything if you didn't have something. The fishing float could be replaced with something bright in color that is visible from the house. Piece of bright red ribbon or red plastic tag for example.
What ever you use as an indicator, it is visible on the rear, behind the box toward the house. Even if your box is at the end of a long driveway you can tell if it is at the top or bottom.
I'm cheap.
On Feb 12, 10:17am, Judy Zappacosta <zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied- Address.invalid> wrote:

I can help you out but first I want to know how the mail sits in the mail box. Does it lay down flat or on it's side ? Also is this mail box in a sunny location?
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 19:07:57 -0800 (PST), Jack Hammer wrote:

The mail box looks pretty much like this one (but without the lock):
http://www.altocontracting.com/Mail%20Box%20Pillar1.JPG
The mail is almost always flat (the box is rather shallow).
Sunny? It's in a shaded area. Trees and a hill overhang it but the road is in front so the sun can get through.
I'm not sure why this matters but I'm intrigued now.
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:17:57 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta

Train a dog to run to the door and bark when anyone other than you opens your mailbox.

Mount a door bell button in the mailbox and run the wire out the back and to the door bell in the house...With a plate of warm cookies and a 20 dollar bill politely ask the mailman/woman to ring the bell when he or she drops off the mail...Repeat the cookies and 20 spot yearly...Less maintaince and the mail carrier will love you...HTH....

Press the buzzer, and who's going to hear it? The cockroaches and spiders? She's getting her mail from the CAR, not sitting in the house waiting for it. Probably, on the way home from work. She isn't home when the mail is delivered.
Frankly, I don't see the point of all this. The simple solution is to get out the damn car and LOOK.
I don't know why she hasn't been harrassed by the postmaster for the following reasons:
1. Stone pillar mailbox is a road hazard. 2. No flag if rural free delivery (i.e. a mailbox by the road). 3. The box is too d*mned high.
Gary H wrote the following:

My daughter's Yorkie barks when the mailman leaves mail. He sits on the back of the couch watching out the window. He also barks when anyone rings the doorbell, or when any truck enters our driveway, or enters any neighbor's driveway, or parks and idles anyplace on our street (a short cul-de-sac), or at anyone walking on the street.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Oh he sounds like LOTS of fun to have in the house.... (Not a fan of overcompensating neurotic little yappy dogs that couldn't survive a single night on their own in the big scary outdoors...)
-- aem sends...

Oh, but it's so fun when your neighbors keep their yappy dogs (Jack Russel, and two mini-weenies) outside overnight in the big scary outdoors so they can bark at the breeze.
krw wrote:

Oh, some of them can be amusing at times. One older lady up the block that only lives here in the warm months, has some sort of terrier in 3/4 scale, maybe 10 pounds soaking wet. When we cross paths on our evening walks, I always observe the dog etiquette of standing still in a non-threatening relaxed position, and offering a hand to sniff. He'll come within a couple feet, but if I say a word, he'll do a backflip and go run and hide behind her.
There are a couple younger neighbor ladies that always get embarrassed when their large HAPPY! dogs run up and lick my hand when we pass on the street. (Oh boy oh boy, here comes somebody new to sniff!). I do the extended hand routine with them, just to avoid the more traditional dog greeting, which would embarrass their humans even more.
-- aem sends...

Don't get me wrong, I like dogs. I do *not* like dogs that bark continuously. I don't like owners who keep their barking dogs outside all night. These particular dogs are so bad that we really can't use our back yard in the summer. Fortunately, the owners don't get along with anyone in the neighborhood (even a family who were friends before they moved next to them) so have their house up for sale. Apparently they didn't much like showing up for the court date.

I always offer my hand to dogs on the street. The neighbors on the other side have a yellow lab that is never a problem. It'll bark sometimes but not incessantly.
On Feb 12, 10:17am, Judy Zappacosta <zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied- Address.invalid> wrote:

There was a project in a magazine years ago(maybe Popular Electronics). The part in the mailbox was a circuit that used just a switch, capacitor and battery.Since the capacitor blocks DC current flow the circuit only produces a pulse and the battery will last its shelf life. The part in the house was a simple SCR circuit that would turn on and latch whenever it received a pulse from the mailbox any time the door was opened or closed. I built one for my grandfather who was a gadget nut. It worked well with the exception that it got a few false triggers We figured out lightning strikes was one source and CB radios may have been another.
Jimmie