Need indicator light in the mailbox to see if anything is inside

Page 3 of 5

Provide a link from the USPS that states that you may NOT have your mail delivered to your home unless your mailbox has a "red flag" attached to it, which is what was stated.

The mail carrier needs to close the lid !! Lazy asses - we have a number of substitutes since the regular guy retired. He was good.

-snip-
My post office won't stop unless there is mail to be delivered. [which is every day- so no inconvenience for me]. On my box, the flag is just a courtesy to the mailman so he is ready to drag the mail out, before he throws the mail in.
-snip-

That's on my rubbermaid box-- pretty simple.
I've also had the 'yellow ball in a eye-bolt' deal on my mailbox. When the door is opened it drops the ball. I think I liked it better-- but it might just be that my eyes aren't as good as they were then -- I have a hard time seeing the little door-flag from the house.
Here's another style; http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/automatic-mail-delivery-signal-reviews
Jim
Popular Mechanics had such a trick, about forty years ago. The trick was to put a weighted flag on the blind side of the box. When the driver opens the box, the bottom weight pulls the flag vertical. Of course you have to reset this after you get your mail out. Not much use in freezing weather.
One other variation was the button inside the box, wired to a buzzer in the house. Or, low voltage door bell that bing bongs when you mailbox door is opened.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

When are you going to fix your newsreader configuration so it puts your sig at the bottom where it belongs?
Doug Miller wrote:

He's above us all. Everyone else is supposed to change to his way.
Judy Zappacosta wrote:

If not a flag, then a motion sensor wired to small light on the front down where you can see it. Put a lens over the light so it looks like a reflector. Or make the light a little down light from landscape lighting.
I think you can find sliding trays for mailboxes so you don't have to reach in.... you can pull the mail to you. It wouldn't be hard to fashion your own.
So um, why don't you walk up to your mailbox? You rest, you rust.
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:17:57 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta
indicator light in the mailbox to see if anything is inside:

Wow! Suppose someone puts a rattle snake in there during the summer and you stick you hand in there without looking!!!
I saw it in a movie once.

in message

I'd use a spring switch with a top plate that covers the bottom of the mailbox. Make sure the spring is strong enough to hold the plate up but any additonal weight will trip it. Use a battery to light the led, put the switch in between the led and battery. When there is mail, it will trip the switch and light the LED. When you remove it, the spring will will push the plate up and it will go off. You'll probably need a resistor between the battery and LED depending on what type of LED you use.
HTH
Matt
Matt Williamson wrote:

Ohhh! That triggered an idea!
Get one of those spring snakes you find in trick boxes of peanuts and jam it in the box.
When the (presumably) female mailman opens the box, the high-pitched scream will alert you to a delivery.

My neighbors put a cat in a mailbox once. They said it jumped into the mail car when the mailman opened the box.

your neighbors are animal abusers.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

They were some pretty mean kids. Thankfully, neither one turned out to be a serial killer. At least I don't think they did.
I got a laugh, at the thought of the mail carrier's reaction.
Serial killer.... how else do you explain the declining population in your area? Hmm?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Use a microswitch on the door to trigger n electronic "latching relay" to turn on an LED every time the door is opened. A push-button to reset it after you take OUT the mail.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Anybody make a clear mailbox, or one with clear panels on top and on the back, so you can look out the window with binoculars and tell if mail is in there? I suppose you could blacksmith a metal box- add a swath of semi-clear (so people driving by can't see in) across the top, or an LED light powered from the landscape lights in OP's case. Then add a window in the back.
Personally, it is a moot point for me. I'm almost never home when the mail is delivered. I just approach from that direction (tiny loop road subdivision), and check it as I get home.
-- aem sends...
If you make a clear backed mail box (excellent idea). Please buy some of the diagonal reflective tape sold at trucking places. Put that on the inside floor of your mail box, so that you won't be straining to see if that white in the box is the mailbox, or a similar colored letter.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 01:58:15 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:
[snip]

If the box is metal, it could become the contact plate for an electronic touch switch.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:30:00 -0500, "Matt Williamson"
[snip]

How can you tell the difference between incoming mail and outgoing mail?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us