NEC question about basement panelboards

Hi, I submitted the following question to Mike Holt's forum but it got rejected because of violation of "several sections" of the code. Could anyone site the sections of the NEC that I'm in violation of?

> Hi, I'm wiring a 200A residential service between >> the meter base and a basement panelboard. >> The 2" IMC runs from grade level at the meter base >> straight down to a buried LB (a Crouse/Hinds LBD600 "pulling LB") >> and thru the basement wall to the panelboard. >> We would rather not dig 6 ft down to access the LB cover. >> Would it be possible to pull the 3/0-3/0-1/0 past that >> inaccessible LB just by pulling, pushing and lots of goop? >> Would using 3 separate conductors and pulling one at a time help? >> My only gear now is a Greenlee 1/8 stainless fish tape w/a >> pulling mesh.

I failed to mention that the penetration thru the basement wall is sleeved and uses special seals to make it water tight.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm an owner/builder. I passed the NEC test that the county required in order for me to do my own work, but I'm fuzzy on this one.

Reply to
zeb7k

I think the problem is the buried LB. Should be above grade with another one inside and then pipe down the wall inside to the load center. Don't know code reference off the top of my head; actually remember this from one of those saturday morning remodeling shows. (wow, I actually got useful information from one of those.)

Ahhh. here we go. NEC 2008 314.29

Boxes, conduiit bodies, and handhole enclosures shall be installed so that the wiring contained in them can be rendered accessable without removing any part of the building or, in underground circuits, without excavating sidewalks, paving, earth, or other substance that is to be used to establish the finished grade.

Exception: Listed boxes and handhole enclosures shall be permitted where covered by gravel, light aggregate, or non-cohesive granulated soil if their location is effectively identified and accessable for excavation.

So basically what that is telling me is that you need to prove that that LB is listed to be buried, and that you can never build anything above the location, ever ever ever.

That doesn't address the issue of actually pulling wire through it. I dunno how you're going to accomplish that :/

good luck

nate

Reply to
N8N

Thanks N8N for taking the time.

I've never pulled thru conduit before so I don't know what's feasible. Would it be hard to pull even if I had access to the LB cover?

I wonder what other of the "several" sections of code I'm violating. I went thru the fill calculations and I'm more than OK.

Don't let N8N do all the work, anyone else chime in.

Reply to
zeb7k

*Start digging. An LB condulet fitting is usually not made for pulling through. The original installer should have used a sweep elbow instead. You can try pushing the wire inside while a couple of guys outside pull at the same time, but SE cable can be pretty stiff. If you do manage to pull it out and feel confident to get new wire in, I suggest that you use individual compact copper conductors which will be smaller and softer. Have the smallest conductor lead out about a foot or more with the other two taped close behind. It will be easier to get the one conductor through initially and then you can keep pulling it until the other two emerge. It will be very time consuming as someone will need to push at the same time as others are pulling. There is a risk of damaging the insulation on the conductors as they make their way around the condulet.
Reply to
John Grabowski