Nearly three feet

28 inches is nearer two feet than three. I agree with your conclusion.

But I don't agree with your 90% reasoning. 90% of a mile could be described as "nearly a mile", but I don't think 90% of 36 inches could be described as "nearly 36 inches". "Nearly", to me, implies that the actual measurement is close to the stated measurement AND closer than to the next convenient division either way.

In other words, "nearly a yard", "nearly three feet", and "nearly 36 inches" are not the same measurement to me. They admit of progressively less deviation from the exact measurement.

Reply to
Stan Brown

"If I tell you three times, it must be true"?

Reply to
Stan Brown

You have obviously not purchased shoes made in certain countries recently. If you take a size 9 in an American shoe, you will need a size 10 or 10.5. Obviously, this is because the maker's feet were smaller. Their lasts are based on their feet.

Reply to
Tony Cooper

The "air potato" is one of the most invasive plants found in Florida. The vine grows up on and strangles every tree that it is near. The vine grows very rapidly.

It produces tubers that resemble potatoes. These fall to the ground and start a new plant. I have pick up literally hundreds from the yard in a year's time because I have a wooded area that's part of the property.

This is what I pick up:

Tony Cooper

Just for S&G, I measured the one I purchased from Harbor Freight. It is labeled as a 36" grabber, and it is 36" in length, but the distance between my thumb and the tip is 32" when I hold it. It extends my grasp about 30" since the last 2" are the gripping part.

All I can assume about the OP's claim of 28" is that he must have extraordinarily long thumbs. He really doesn't need a grabber; he could pick up things from the ground without even stooping over.

Reply to
Tony Cooper

Very interesting, I am in Naples part of each winter and have never encountered such things. Maybe they are not as common that far south. Thanks for the education.

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

You probably saw them, but didn't know what you were seeing. What you saw was just greenery. You didn't see that there was a tree dying under that vine.

They are a problem in Naples.

You thought I was exaggerating when I said I pick up hundreds. I wasn't. This article states that the members of this Naples golf course picked up 200 on one day, and a golf course is mostly fairway. I know, I live on one.

Reply to
Tony Cooper

My feet seem to have kept growing.

From ages 13-30 I used to take size 8.

Now only size 11 will do.

Reply to
Steve Hayes

To me, "a year's time" means 4 Nov 2014.

But you used the present tense, suggesting that you are picking them up now, rather than in a year's time.

Reply to
Steve Hayes

Their Toobers our not to bad if you salt pepper them in 1/4 inch" slices and fry in Olive oil.

Reply to
tom

I think he meant "over" a year's time. Good thing we have the Grammar Police here huh?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Dan,

I think that you should not buy it.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Sounds like a girl I dated in High school.......

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

AIUI, the ones growing wild in Florida are considered toxic.

Adam Funk

I don't think I'd heard of that plant until today. I giggled a little because it reminded me of "air biscuit".

Reply to
Adam Funk

It's Florida's version of Kudzu.

Reply to
Tony Cooper

Only one review and that is a 5 star. "I have purchase this again and again". That's says it all. Maybe he'll get one that works next time.

Reply to
willshak

I think that's what they measured. From tip to tip is nearly 3 feet.

Reply to
willshak

I thought Florida had actual kudzu.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Which countries do you have in mind?

Based on the info at

I can't see any shoe size measurement systems that fit your description.

Inexpensive imported shoes are typically made to American specs and labeled with American shoes sizes. I don't rule out occasional snafus but systematic size-label error is very rare.

Tak

Reply to
Tak To