Nearly three feet

Page 2 of 4
On 11/3/2013 9:49 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

Actually, I already have a decent "grabber" but rarely use it. Now tell us all what the heck potato plants are doing in your yard.

The "air potato" is one of the most invasive plants found in Florida. The vine grows up on and strangles every tree that it is near. The vine grows very rapidly.
It produces tubers that resemble potatoes. These fall to the ground and start a new plant. I have pick up literally hundreds from the yard in a year's time because I have a wooded area that's part of the property.
This is what I pick up:
http://www.millerlegg.com/images/about_comm_airpotatoraid2.jpg
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

On 11/3/2013 11:35 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

encountered such things. Maybe they are not as common that far south. Thanks for the education.
Don

saw was just greenery. You didn't see that there was a tree dying under that vine.
They are a problem in Naples. http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2013/apr/12/foxfire-fights-invasive-exotic-air-potato-9697/
You thought I was exaggerating when I said I pick up hundreds. I wasn't. This article states that the members of this Naples golf course picked up 200 on one day, and a golf course is mostly fairway. I know, I live on one.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

To me, "a year's time" means 4 Nov 2014.
But you used the present tense, suggesting that you are picking them up now, rather than in a year's time.
--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 10:16:04 +0200, Steve Hayes

I think he meant "over" a year's time. Good thing we have the Grammar Police here huh?

"In a year's time" means that over the course of a year (any year) he picks up hundreds of them from the yard.
--
A man does not make his destiny: he accepts it or denies it.

On 05.11.13 13:38, Lewis wrote:

That's obviously what he means, but it's not idiomatic for me. I would say what you did for that meaning, not "in a year's time", which suggests to me a year in the future, as it does for Steve.
--
Lifelong resident of Adelaide, South Australia

Is this yet another pondian difference?
--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa

I'm not sure. "In a year's time" sounds a little folksy to me, and that often turns out to mean "AmE South". I would probably say "Over the course of a year" but I didn't think Tony's phrasing was unusual.
--
"What if your DOPE was on fire?"
"Impossible, sir, it's in Johnson's underwear."
On 05/11/13 14:08, Lewis wrote:

Translation into my language: "over the course of a year".
--
Peter Moylan, Newcastle, NSW, Australia. http://www.pmoylan.org
For an e-mail address, see my web page.

Or for me, simply "in a year".
--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
On Tue, 05 Nov 2013 18:43:45 +0200, Steve Hayes

Which, on this side of the pond, would be on 11/06/2014. "Over the course of a year", means that between now and 11/06/2014...
On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 17:17:54 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Depending on which side of which pond you happen to be on.
--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 07:27:01 +0200, Steve Hayes

Um, which is why I prefaced it with "on this side of the pond...".
On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 13:39:06 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

For which values of "this"?
--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 13:39:06 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Your location is not known to us by your posts.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 22:26:04 -0500, Tony Cooper

Steve's is.
On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 22:26:04 -0500, Tony Cooper

On 11/04/2013 12:35 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:

Their Toobers our not to bad if you salt pepper them in 1/4 inch" slices and fry in Olive oil.