Nat gas

any insights as to NG prices this winter.
mark Ransley wrote:

High. Way high. One of our local utilities that offers the budget helper plan (averages the payments over the whole year) has *doubled* the size of the monthly payment starting September. They said that's based on current pricing, and they'll re-evaluate the amount in January 04, when it may have to go up again.
I've been reading articles saying we can expect natural gas shortages in the US for at least the next five years, with resultant spiraling price increases.
HellT

Yup
Alot more than they were last winter....
Already, we have several gas furnaces on the books for replacement in the coming weeks...with heat pumps. In our climate, its the cheapest way to go. The gas companies here are already scrambling.
My 12 equal payment monthly budgeted amount went from $64 to $98 a month.

a lot of electric plants are fired with natural gas, a: there's more competition for the limited supply, and b: heat pumps won't be cheaper in the future, i would expect.

Good point..now..based on what you just said, in a climate like here, where at best, you get a 94 cent return on every dollar spent for just gas, in the form of heat, just for the fuel for the furnace (average is 80 cents) not including the electricity to run the gas furnace, and up to a $1.25 or more return for every dollar you spend to make heat with a heat pump, and that is nothing but electricity, what would YOU rather have? If the electric supply is being supplied by gas, and you have to spend extra for gas AND electricity, does it not make sense to eliminate one bill, instead of paying for the gas TWICE?
Heat pumps, in moderate climates, are almost always cheaper to run....price of electric of course has alot to do with it, but either way, gas, or electric, you are going to be paying for electricity.