Nail Spinner

Page 3 of 3

That does not happen with chucking the headless finish nail "bit" in a drill. I don't know what you did, but you did the something or the wood was wonky and would have split regardless of what spun the nail.
I clip off the head, chuck it into the drill, file the flats a bit to sharpen up the edges, then spin the drill to see if the nail is straight. They usually aren't. I bend the nail by hand until there is little to no run-out, and it's good to go.
RicodJour explained :

I did that and it still split a few times. That has never happened with the spinner. I only had 3 sets of door casings to do and was not about to go out and buy a compressor and trim nail gun for the task. I was also not about to go out and find one to borrow and then go hunt for the proper nails for it.

The clipped nail chucked in the drill split the wood while you were driving it? That's curious. Where were these nails located that split the wood, what size were they and what sort of wood were the casings?
I don't see how the physics of spinning a nail with a spinner is any different than spinning it with a drill, but that's neither here nor there.
RicodJour explained on 10/2/2011 :

The drilling nail did not split the wood. The driven nail did.
On 10/1/2011 8:40 PM, RonB wrote:

I use an old carpenters trick of flattening the point of the nail so it cuts the wood fibers instead of pushing them aside and splitting the wood.
TDD

Are you sure it's a carpenter's trick?
Grandpa was a mason and he taught it to me.
He's no longer around for me to ask where he learned it from, so I'll keep believing that he invented it. ;-)

Mike-
I needed one about 2 years ago and could only find them at Sears. I hit a couple s Sear locations in my area but they were "out of stock".
I was too lazy to buy a couple through Sears online store.
Now they appear to be MIA everywhere..... :(
cheers Bob
In typed:

Use your drill
On Saturday, October 1, 2011 5:54:24 PM UTC-5, Mike Dobony wrote:

Craftsman and VermontAmerica both make them. I love my nail spinner too. 2LTim
On Saturday, October 1, 2011 5:54:24 PM UTC-5, Mike Dobony wrote:

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Vermont-American-16621-Nail-Spinner/111086/Cat/1327
2LTim

Read what it says in red in the upper right.
"This product is currently unavailable."
On 10/13/2013 7:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Instead of a nail spinner, maybe get a salad shooter?