My new vinly window won't close

I just installed six Milgard brand vinyl windows. One of the windows stays ajar a bit up at the top.

There is a part at the bottom of the window frame, which I will call "rail". It is shown on one of my photos. I am not sure if this is the proper name of this. The bottom of the frame for the pane straddles this, and it slides over this.

I'm noticing that the "rail" rises a bit towards the left end. I think this is causing the bottom front of the sliding window pane to tilt slightly up when it is pushed closed, which in turn is causing the window to stay ajar up at the top.

I'm wondering if I can remove this "rail" without destroying it. If Ican remove it, I am planning to raise the middle of it so that back end of the pane can be even with the front when it's closed.

The following link has two photos of the window:

Thanks!

Deguza

Reply to
Deguza

Deguza,

Pull the window and frame out and start over. Your installation is not plumb. Use a level and maybe some shims. While the window is out confirm that the window closes well in the frame still. If when you bought the window it did not have a good fit you would have noticed the window being ajar and not installed it, I hope.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Do you have a square? Check it out. My money is on your window being square but the installation is not. If I'm reading your explanation of the "symptoms" correctly, the frame is racked. If that window frame's corners are all at a perfect 90 degrees, then the problem is the window itself. Can you remove the window itself from the frame and check to see if there might be piece missing (I'm thinking some sort of contact point, like a teflon or Delrin piece, which assists the window to slide)?

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Removing it will void the warranty. Sounds like it is not square and needs to be taken out and properly installed. Anything else is half assed and may become a bigger problem down the road. You can damage the ability to seal.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You clearly installed the window, and maybe some or all of the others badly. It (they) need to be removed and reinstalled by some one that can do the job properly. How you installed the windows may have damaged some or all of them beyond repair.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

You didn't install the window square in the hole. It needs to be removed and PROPERLY re-installed.. Nothing else will solve your problem. Square and plumb are REQUIRED properties for a window installation.

Reply to
clare

Not only MAY but WILL. MUCH bigger. Take the window out and install it properly or pay someone who can.

Reply to
clare

If it is square and plumb it WILL be, by default, level

Reply to
clare

The two window companies I worked for charged one 7734 of a lot more than $3 per window - but they COULD install them properly.

Reply to
clare

I'm having 6 windows replaced soon. They are charging $400 each for labor and materials. I had a few others done earlier this year and they do a fantastic job. Azek trim on the exterior so no more painting.

When they are done, the windows will be in place, every speck of waste cleaned up, old windows carried away. You'd never know it was just done. Twenty years ago I'd have done it myself. These days I find it easier to write a check

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

@0 years ago I did all the top floor windows (in aluminum siding.) 2 years ago I wrote the cheque to Beingessners to do the front entry and

2 back windows on the main floor (in bricK)
Reply to
clare

the window may not end up "square to the wall" or "square to the hole" - but if it is plumb both in - to - out and left to right, and the corners are square the bottom and top will both be level (cannot be anything else since plumb is 90 degrees from level, and 90 degrees is "square") and the window or door will work as designed. I ended up on a service call a number of years back where the installer had installed the door "flush to the wall" instead of plumb and it didn't work properly. I told the home owner they had 2 choices - it would look like crap and work well, or look good and work like crap. If they wanted something else they had to call the contractor that built the house and have them rebuild the wall . I documented the slant of the wall in case it ended up in small clames court. They finally settled on looking a little bit crappy and working so-so (split the difference)

Reply to
clare