My neighbor was scammed by driveway spraying scammers

Page 4 of 8

Get license plate, start dialing police, letting them know you are doing it. They would most likely finish it without the extra money to keep the police out of the area. When they leave, call the police anyway and report the scam and license so the guy a block down doesn't get taken.
Rule #1. Always get it in writing.
--
Anthony

You can\'t \'idiot proof\' anything....every time you try, they just make

Swallow hard, take down the license plate number, and walk away a wiser man. Then get on the phone and start calling local authorities.
Steve

Yeah, like local authorities don't have anything better to do than waste their time on this crap? They're gonna tell you it's a contract dispute, it's a civil matter, and take it to court if you like. Good luck there.

I guess you didn't read my post very well. I see that you even snipped it. I shall repost it. This time, if you don't read it all, JUST READ THE FIRST SENTENCE.
HTH, but I doubt it.
<repeat of my post>
It depends on the jurisdiction. In some places, they might consider it grounds for fraud. In others, they would refer you to the proper civil channel to connect to. And then lots of time, these guys are just "casing" and return later to pick up loose items at houses where they know what kind of car is parked in the driveway when someone is home, whether or not you have a dog, etc. It really all depends on the local authorities, and you'd have a better chance in a small town where the police are less busy than in a big city.
Now go take a blood pressure pill and a nap.
Sheesh.
Steve
On May 12, 3:15 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Maybe, but here I suspect they would locate them and determine if they had a city business license. If not they would be happy to make sure they paid the city a nice fine for not having a license. You might not get your money back, but they might not be able to keep the money.
Dan

Dan, do YOU think that you'd have a better chance of getting something done by the police in a small town or in a big city? trader and I seem to think differently on this. What do you think?
Steve

In the small towns I have lived in, yeah, the local law does roust drive-by scammers like this pretty hard, mainly because their preferred victims usually have gray hair. Young homeowners usually don't care how driveway looks, or are strong enough to go to Home Despot, and get a mop and couple 5-gallon buckets of glop and do it themselves.
aem sends...

In a small town the police would probably respond. In a big city, they would refer you to whoever enforces city licensing requirements. In both places there is someone who wants to make sure the city gets money for licenses. Getting someone to respond because you lost money is harder than getting someone to respond because the city probably lost money.
Dan

True. I have noticed, though, in small towns, the police take note of "traveling tradesmen" and others that are not familiar. And they have the time to do so. They know a lot of the local people, and those from outside the area are very noticeable.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Correct. Many years ago I lived in a rural town and had a sales job that sent me on the road. Once I was going door to door to businesses and a cop asked me who I represented. He explained that I needed to come to the station to register.He was polite and had m get in the front seat. At the station the chief explained what is called a Green River Ordinance which requires itinerant sales people to register (there was no fee). He then had the dispatcher radio the officer who drove me back to my car.
--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell

Thank you for the calm lucid rational answer from someone who's been there, done that. I, also, have had experiences all over this land. I just get aggravated when I try to bring them here, and some want to attack even the premise.
It's like, if they've never seen the Statue of Liberty, they swear it cannot exist.
Wikipedia on Green River Ordinance:
The name Green River Ordinance is given to a common American city ordinance prohibiting door-to-door solicitation. Under such an ordinance, it is illegal for any business to sell their items door-to-door without express permission from the household beforehand. Some versions prohibit all organizations, including non-profit charitable, political, and religious groups, from soliciting or canvassing any household that makes it clear, in writing, that it does not want such solicitations (generally with a "No Trespassing" or "No Solicitations" sign posted.)
The ordinance is named for the city of Green River, Wyoming, the first city to enact it.
The ordinance has been brought before the Supreme Court for challenge in several times. While the court has upheld these ordinances when they prohibit intrastate commerce (seeing the issue as a state's rights issue), more recent decisions suggest that a total ban on door to door soliciting would be found unconstitutional and unenforceable on the grounds of religious free speech and commercial free speech when the ordinances ban religious or interstate solicitations.
<end of Wikipedia>
So, therefore, if the person who was solicited for the driveway work lived in a town where the Green River Ordinance was in effect, all they had to do was call the police, and they would have taken care of the whole (eventual) mess. Or, the town may have had their OWN ordinance. Like a fellow said, all the town is interested in is getting their cut. For some small towns, their radar guns and enforcement of local laws on tourists, outsiders and the uninformed brings in revenues.
Steve
Your friend is lucky if what his driveway was sprayed with was not simply drained crankcase oil.
That's what the "Gypsy Travelers" usually use in their scams.
Tell your friend that he is now a "sucker of the first order"!!!!!! Hell, most of us learned about this scam well before we were old enough to have sex!
Harry C.

On 12 May 2007 16:29:16 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Speak for yourself. Most of us didn't wait until we were 60 to get laid.
Well friend, if you waited until 60 to get laid, you are a very exceptional person or maybe Irish. In most regions of the US, normal kids have sex before the age of 15. I wanted to have sex since I was 12, but the girls I knew hadn't yet reached puberty. Actually, the first real sex that I ever had was at the age of 19, and I married the girl. We'll celebrate our 49th on July 11th.
Also, by the age of 12, unless retarded and riding the short bus, most kids know about the Gypsy Travelers, who are usually of Irish origin, and derived from the "Tinkers", not Gypsy's at all. Most are the scum of Ireland. If you don't know who the Tinkers are, consult an irishman or Google.
Damn, what is it with you young people, are you mentally regarded or simply stupid. I cannot imagine anyone today not being familiar with the 'Irish Traveler' scam. What has been described in this thread is precisely what they do for a living. Damn, how dumb can you get!
Harry C.

are you mentally regarded or

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Do I get my choice? I'll choose "mentally regarded."
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:
BILGE SNIPPED
Racist little prick, aren't you?

Grin!!
Harold
On 12 May 2007 16:29:16 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Good movie called Traveller with Bill Paxton and Mark Wahlberg. Pretty funny scene when they collected their cash and ran like hell because it started to rain. The "blacktop sealer" they had just applied was running into the gutter just as fast.
--Vic
Ignoramus6369 wrote:

Block the driveway with your car.
--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell

These were my own thoughts.