My house got robbed - what's a good place to buy a handgun?

Page 5 of 6
Ralph Mowery wrote:

Hi, That is a dog owner's problem. If dog does not get enough exercise and care he will go crazy. Don't blame the dog, blame the owner. Irresponsible people should never own any pet.
Terry Coombs wrote:

Yes. I think that all dogs should be banned, unconditionally and that includes pets, so called "service dogs", police/military dogs, etc. No exceptions.

Perhaps you are one of the 1% or so of dog owners who properly trains and contains their filthy, noisy, dangerous animals. Unfortunately the 99% do not. The 99% let their filthy, noisy, dangerous animals roam and crap on other people's property, attack children, bark 24x7 and destroy the quality of life for the whole neighborhood which is audio trespass as far as I'm concerned.
Tony Hwang wrote:

The 99% should be 1% but it certainly isn't. The reality is that it is indeed far closer to 99% who fail to contain their filthy, noisy, dangerous animals. Keep your dogs and their noise pollution off my property.
Pete C. wrote:

Hi, Maybe where you live. My dog's nick name is happy dog in the neighborhood, he never bothers any one or any other dogs. My dog has license tag on his collar which is 36.00 a year being neutered. He goes to free run park twice a day, fed best dog food, visit vet. once every year. He takes bath every 3 months with nail trims. He is clean and quiet. No reason to bark and bother other people. Any way all neighbors have a dog or two, 7 house Cul-de-Sac. So it all depends. My dog is trained, it knows my hand signal and verbal commands. Also think about service dogs, military, police dogs. Dog is man's best friend. In a city with 1 mil. population we have 1/4 mil. licensed dogs and who knows how many cats and unlicensed dogs.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

Absolutely. That and look at the news pretty much every day and find a story of a dog attack.
Pete C. wrote:

I'm truly sorry you feel that way . I suspect you've had some really bad experiences ... nothing I can do to change your opinion .
--
Snag

and the dog owner who thinks nothing of his dog's barking is the neighbor most likely to tell YOU what you need to be doing to suit him.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Cats should be mandatory, dogs should be banned.

They say a dog is much like his owner<g>

Sure am glad you're not my neighbor. You wouldn't want to live in my neighborhood anyway, though: *all* of the houses have gas heat.

Sure, makes a lot of sense: have the dog defend the back yard instead of the house.
Our first house was in kind of a rough area. We lived there for 3+ years, with our dogs. Never had a break-in. Sold the house to a couple that didn't own a dog. Six weeks later, they had a break-in.
Doug Miller wrote:

I'd never live in a neighborhood where the houses were close enough together for your gas explosion to damage my house anyway. There is no gas service at all where I am, just LP tanks for some folks. I have a dual fuel stove with 5 LP burners up top and electric ovens. I feed it with a 20# BBQ size LP tank and have a gas detector in the area in case there is a leak. The detector should detect a leak, and even if I'm away, 20# max of LP limits the potential damage vs. an unlimited nat gas supply.
As for cats vs. dogs, this afternoon I was leaning back in my office chair and Sophie hopped up on my lap. Not content with my lap, she climbed up and curled up under my chin purring up a storm. It was a lovely hour plus nap.

Good thing about the natural gas is it is lighter than air and tends to go up and out. The LP is heavier and tends to find a low place and pool up.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

And Pete , you might be surprised how much damage a 20 lb pool of LPG can do . Let it puddle in a basement or crawl space and the whole house is going to turn into splinters .
--
Snag

Ralph Mowery wrote:

nat gas just pools at ceiling level vs. floor level for LP. either way, unless you live in a rickety shack that leaks like a sieve it will pool until it finds an ignition source.
Terry Coombs wrote:

No sustained fires, and 20# is the max fuel, typically less. There also is no basement or crawl space here in TX with shallow frost lines and high water tables.
Tony Hwang;3307732 Wrote: >

..fed best dog food...
I'm embarassed to say that my oldest sister feeds her dog ground sirloin hamburger.
She spends a Saturday afternoon frying up 5 pounds of the stuff and mixing it with chopped veggies. The dogs go nutz over it. My sister is married and her husband has two daughters from a previous marriage, but she has no children of her own. Both her and her husband have good paying jobs so they travel a lot, and feed their Brussels Griffins ground sirloin hamburger.
I believe a well trained dog is a happy dog. He knows what he's supposed to do and does it on his master's command, and that makes both dog and master happy.
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs consider us as equals."
- Sir Winston Churchill
--
nestork

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 18:52:07 -0700, nestork

It's great she cooks that food, but according to our veterinarian, dog diets REQUIRE more fat, which they digest incredibly better than humans. something like 40% content [from memory] So, she is feeding her dogs well, but may be starving them of their necessary fats.
But if she goes that route, she should get range, organic beef, with NO hormones [all the toxins accumulate in an animal's fat]; and ask her butcher for some slabs of fat to grind into that sirloin to get the fat levels up. Most of that fat is returned/sold to rendering plants, so most butchers don't mind using it up into a product. probably downgrade the price, too.
Veterinarain recommended adding garlic and onions. For some reason our dog loved a dash of garlic salts in that cooked mess. He was one of the first new breed, called coton(sp?) Their fur is like white cotton and mats up if you don't keep at it. Incredibly intelligent, great indoor lap dogs, They don't think they're a dog, and they don't smell like a dog. Cats didn't even notice him, because he didn't think like a dog, nor smell like a dog, so they accepted him.

hey, thanks for that article. I should have said garlic salt. where the garlic enzymes are destroyed.
I can attest to the 'bad' effects of garlic, Both Ms. Macy and I are allergic to garlic. Besides extremely repugnant smell to garlic dishes; she is so allergic that her larynx seizes shut and she can't breathe, until sufficient time for the reaction to pass. However, if the garlic is 'dehydrated' not the same parallysis, rather just repugnant odor is in the dish.
At an Italian friend's restaurant he hosted a spaghetti dinner for some political supporters [us included] He knew we were allergic to garlic so prepared our dishes all sans garlic, making them delicious. All through the meal everyone at our table would take jibes at us, murmuring, "allergic to garlic, ridiculous" however, after 45 minutes everybody at our table was clearing their throats with a raspy, 'ahem' Where we got the last laugh pointing out to them that THAT is the allergic reaction kicking in affecting their larynx's(sp?) and breathing passages. Then we got to duplicate the NY sounding Godfather's voice [raspy, breathy] proclaiming how garlic never hurt me. HA!
From memory, the Japanese refer to the Koreans as, Garlic Eaters, to put them down. In defense of all the garlic eaters out there; I had a Sicilian friend who when he ate garlic actually smelled like cellery on him. Absolutely amazing. However he was normal weight/thin and did die of heart failure.
One time when my sisters and I were kids, we gave our dog some chewing gum and had a great laugh watching him try to chew it with his meat eating teeth.
Cycle, our dog, just got frustrated trying to chewing it up and just swallowed it. We didn't give him any more after that because we were scared it might not break down in his stomach, and might plug up his butt hole. We were scared he might have to have an operation to get that chewing gum out of him, but it apparantly did him no harm. He pooped it out just like everything else we fed him.
--
nestork