Musing ........ rant

Page 1 of 3
Just going over some proposals from a recently completing project ......
Hang six interior doors Install baseboard in a 1,000 sf addition Install door knobs and locks Install door trim
NO PAINT OR TOUCH UP
$1,524 LABOR ONLY
I did the work myself. First doors I ever hung. A couple of burps, but the doors work fine. Locks I know. Bought a second hand DeWalt compound miter saw for $50. Bought a used Porter Cable nailer, $40.
Total cost, less than $250. Whoops, forgot the paint, which is another $25. And I own the saw and nailer, which are slick. I can use them for lots of other projects.
Why do some people think they're worth so much?
I can understand hvac and electric and plumbing and some of the specialty trades. What's so hard about doors and trim?
Steve
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:02:17 -0800, "SteveB"

Yeah! It should be free like satellite TV!
SteveB wrote:

What is so hard about HVAC, electrical and plumbing?
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Robert Allison wrote:

Nothing at all, which is why I do all that myself. The savings in labor costs offsets the fact that I use higher grade parts.

There's a big cost if they're not done right.
Steve

The person who gave you the quote - how long did he say all this work might take?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote: ...

More to the point, how long did it take him and what was his hourly wage (exclusive, of course, of taxes including self-employment/FICA/workmans comp, health and other benefits, etc., etc, etc., ...?

It didn't take "him" any time at all, because the OP didn't have the guy do the work.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"HIM" was referring to OP...to provide "him" w/ a proper frame of reference... :(

OK, but that's the other side of the coin. If I'm a neurosurgeon and my time's worth (random guess) $1400 per hour, I'd have to be nuts to think I'd be saving money by doing a $1500 home project myself if it means losing a day of work.
I want to know how long the contractor said the work would take.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote: ...

Fine, but I was answering the original question -- "why do people think they're worth so much?" -- if the OP will calculate his time even reduced by some factor for the contractor's experience, he'll discover that time isn't worth nearly as much as he thought it was...
dpb wrote:

Or, another way to look at it -- not unreasonable for someone to want to bring home, say, $50k/year. If on a 2-week vacation, 10-holidays, 1-week sick, 40-hr week, that equates to 1900 labor hours/year. To bring home his $50k, that means must _net_ $26/hr. Now work up from this minimum to get a gross rate.

I suspect the OP has realized his comment was absurd, and he will not be back to the discussion.

I can see you are ignorant of contracting. In a contract, you say, "I will build your spare bedroom for $6,789." Notice the period. There's usually a deadline for completion, but no hourly rate is quoted. A total price for a specified job is a contract. Other than that, it qualifies as hourly handyman rate. Any time either of the two parties is dissatisfied, they can part. In a contract, things are entirely different.
But you knew that, right?
Steve

Yeah, I'm an engineer ("I are an engineer") and I do count my time againt what I pay, and it's usually a positive equation.
That said, I'd do my own locks, and doors and baseboards probably would be folded into another bigger project I hire out. The carpentry skills are ones that I just don't have the time or wherewithall to develop. Think, the first time doing the baseboards - I'd be going through some trial and error or at least proceeding very slowly, then never doing that again for a long time.
That said, the OP quote does sound like a lot - presumably he got more quotes. Mebbe the contractor put on a PIA 'combat pay' bonus for himself... ;-)
Banty
SteveB wrote:

License? Advertising? Vehicle? Insurance? Phone? Wages? Heck, the guy probably also wants to make a livng. What did you think a fair price?
SteveB wrote:

Exactly. I got an estimate to paint my car, $3,750.00. I bought a couple of gallons of SW, a brush & roller, total cost: $60.00
Another example is, a landscaper wanted $80 each time to cut my lawn. I have grandma doing it for free. Reminds me, I'm going to have to go out and see how she's coming along. Haven't seen her for a couple of days.
If you're satisfied with an unprofessional job, why pay a professional?

I've been dissatisfied with the quality and workmanship of everything I've ever paid a "professional" to do. DIY quality should be *at least* as good as professional.
Professionals just don't have the time to do a really nice job. A pro tiler has to start and finish a bathroom remodel in two days. I have two months of spare time if that's what it takes to make the results perfect.
The Reverend Natural Light wrote:

Most DIYers are satisfied with their projects. But, they wouldn't know where they messed up, unless their mistakes are pointed out by a professional.
It's unfortunate, you do not know the meaning of a professional. A professional always does the job correct, regardless the field or nature of work.
If you don't know how to hire a professional, at least consult with someone, which knows the industry and can hire a professional for you. As you pointed out, you didn't know how to hire a professional, and the work preformed can be very disappointing. Unfortunately, a large part of the blame is on you. Thanks for sharing some of life's lessons.

What a bunch of crap. You must be a "professional". If everyone believed this crap you could charge double.