Mushrooms! Many Types, Random Locations

So who knows what about mushrooms?
Over past couple of weeks we've had quite a bit of rain. Recently, as I loo k in my backyard and in yards around the neighborhood, I see various types of mushrooms popping up in random locations.
Under my picnic table I had a small grouping of very pretty mushrooms with small, bright yellow tops. Under my deck overhang I had 2 big mushrooms, gr eyish, with huge hollow domed tops. A couple of houses down, my neighbor ha d a few mushrooms with perfectly flat tops. They looked like little tables.
So why the randomness of occurrence, both in type and location? I assume th at the spores can be carried by the wind or perhaps by animals, but I wonde r why there would be different varieties and either a very small grouping o r even just one or two. In other words, if I've got a couple of different t ypes in my yard, which is boxed in by wooden fences, the house, etc. why do n't I see the same type in adjacent yards. Why the non-matching groups of o ne or two, isolated here and there?
Thanks!

The yellow mushrooms and the domed cap both sprouted in a mulched area, 1/2" to 1” reddish wood. The flat tops were in a sparse lawn area and in plain dirt under a bush.
On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 13:48:09 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

spread some lime.
On Friday, June 28, 2013 4:48:09 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

s of mushrooms popping up in random locations.

greyish, with huge hollow domed tops. A couple of houses down, my neighbor had a few mushrooms with perfectly flat tops. They looked like little table s.

der why there would be different varieties and either a very small grouping or even just one or two. In other words, if I've got a couple of different types in my yard, which is boxed in by wooden fences, the house, etc. why don't I see the same type in adjacent yards. Why the non-matching groups of one or two, isolated here and there?

I grow edible mushrooms and know a little about them. The mushroom is the f ruit, put up by the mycelium which grows underground. The mycelium is a net work of fungus fibers. When conditions are right, like in warm weather afte r a rain, they put up a mushroom which releases spores to blow around and h opefully start a new colony.
Sounds like you have a couple of colonies of different species. As the unde rground part gets larger, it will put up more mushrooms. Eventually, it wil l absorb all the nutrients in the area and die out.