Multimeters

Page 1 of 2
Hi I want to buy a new Multimeter and there are a few features that currently I have no idea what they mean. Obviously I currently have no idea for those features but I wondered if somebody can explain to me what they are/do so maybe in the future I will need them. 1. Conductance 2. Motor Drive Measurement 3. Smoothing
Add pictures here
✖
T.J. wrote:

Google them.
--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician
T.J. wrote:

You might want to repost this over on
sci.electronics.repair
to get some real answers and a feel for how often you need or might use the features.
Add pictures here
✖
: 1. Conductance This is when a guy in a tuxedo gets up in front of the orchestra, and waves the little black thing that is on the end of the VOM wire. While people are out on the dance floor. He's the conduct dance.
: 2. Motor Drive Measurement Every computer has a C drive. Well, some have motor drives also. You put one lead in your A-drive, and another in the disk drive. The meter tells you how much motor drive you have.
: 3. Smoothing When you surf the web, you click from picture to picture. Web page to web page. By smoothing, you make all the web pages look the same. This is a computer function. Usually they just look like a blank screen, but that's smoothing for you.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Thank you for the brevity. Very concise and too the point. -- Oren
"I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."
Add pictures here
✖
Conductance is the inverse of resistance. calculated as 1/ohms=mhos

Add pictures here
✖
Mho? isn't that what she screams in the bedroom?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

They changed "Mhos" to "Siemens". I wish they hadn't (naming it after someone, rather than using something actually meaningful).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Mark Lloyd wrote:

How do you feel about the change of cycles-per-second to Hertz?
Add pictures here
✖
wrote Re Re: Multimeters:

Even after all these years, I'm still annoyed by it. Why name something like that after a car rental company? :-)
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

Add pictures here
✖

Like watts; after James Watt? Or volts after Volta, amps after Ampere, farads after Faraday, curies after Marie Curie, roentgens of radioctivity after Roentgen, magnetic flux after Gauss,. frequencies after Hertz, pasteurization of food after Pasteur, etc. etc. hard to think of many units that are NOT named after some researcher! Maybe we could think and Fess and den come up with a few missing ones?. And of course we have the decibel (Bel) after Alexander Graham Bell of telephone inventing fame!
Add pictures here
✖
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Ohm is a name too. Now how about admittance?
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, the point was in not using an ADDITIONAL name.

I don't know about admittance, other than this is the reciprocal of impedance.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
✖
Tony Hwang wrote: ...

You don't recall Lord Admit??? :)
✖
jmagerl wrote:
One of the great pieces of scientific humor was the units for conductance as mho, with a symbol of an upside down omega [ohms symbol].
It has been ruined. I believe conductance is now Siemens. Who the hell ever heard of Siemens. I was depressed for weeks.
-- bud--

Add pictures here
✖

I only heard about this just now, but I'm going to continue to call them mhos. Just like I call the stadiums in Baltimore by Oriole Park and Ravens Stadium. Even though iiuc they never had those names, and the previous baseball stadium was called Memorial Stadium**. Same thing for other cities.
**Even though they never said what it was a memorial too and if you entered by the sides and never looked at the end, you'd never know. At least one could find out by looking. I had to call Union Memorial Hospital to find out what it was a memorial to. The Union?
I'm not bound by their rules. And I'm also not bound to learn new names when other people want new names.
I also call the inverse of a volt a larry and the inverse of an amp a curlie.
And Pluto is the ninth planet from the sun. If there are hundreds of others that big that don't get noticed, a) I don't know that, and b) it's their problem.
Add pictures here
✖

Are they still using the same units (name change only)?
One time I heard of a unit of closeness, called a retem.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
✖
On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 13:29:36 -0500, Mark Lloyd

Remember Serutan spelled backwards is Natures
and Tums spelled backwards is smut.
Add pictures here
✖
mm wrote:

Then there is Evian bottled water.
-- bud--
Add pictures here
✖
The farad is the SI unit of the capacitance of an electrical system, that is, its capacity to store electricity. It is a rather large unit as defined and is more often used as a microfarad. It is named after the English chemist and physicist Michael Faraday (1791-1867).
The hertz is the SI unit of the frequency of a periodic phenomenon. One hertz indicates that 1 cycle of the phenomenon occurs every second. For most work much higher frequencies are needed such as the kilohertz [kHz] and megahertz [MHz]. It is named after the German physicist Heinrich Rudolph Hertz (1857-94).
The joule is the SI unit of work or energy. One joule is the amount of work done when an applied force of 1 newton moves through a distance of 1 metre in the direction of the force.It is named after the English physicist James Prescott Joule (1818-89).
The newton is the SI unit of force. One newton is the force required to give a mass of 1 kilogram an acceleration of 1 metre per second per second. It is named after the English mathematician and physicist Sir Isaac Newton (1642-1727).
The ohm is the SI unit of resistance of an electrical conductor. Its symbol, is the capital Greek letter 'omega'. It is named after the German physicist Georg Simon Ohm (1789-1854).
The pascal is the SI unit of pressure. One pascal is the pressure generated by a force of 1 newton acting on an area of 1 square metre. It is a rather small unit as defined and is more often used as a kilopascal [kPa]. It is named after the French mathematician, physicist and philosopher Blaise Pascal (1623-62).
The volt is the SI unit of electric potential. One volt is the difference of potential between two points of an electical conductor when a current of 1 ampere flowing between those points dissipates a power of 1 watt. It is named after the Italian physicist Count Alessandro Giuseppe Anastasio Volta (1745-1827).
The watt is used to measure power or the rate of doing work. One watt is a power of 1 joule per second. It is named after the Scottish engineer James Watt (1736-1819
More some other time .................... ! There's bound to be a Russian or two in among those Europeans!
Add pictures here
✖