Moving my toilet

Hi everyone,

I am planning on moving the toilet in my basement bathroom over approiximately 1 foot (bathroom was enlarged so this is necessary). I have aready broken up the concrete around the toilet and made the necessary channel to its new location. Now, all that needs to be done is to cut into the original waste line and to divert it and move the water supply over. I am planning to hire a plumber to do this as it is way beyond my scope. What I am curious to know is this; When the new piping is attached to the waste line, how will the plumber attach it. My father said that the best way to do this is to use molten lead to join them. What I am not sure about is if plumbers use this method anymore or if they just use some type of a gasket. What should I ask the plumber to make sure they know what they are doing?

Thank you, Anthony

Reply to
mravenez

cheaper easier to use a fernco rubber connector, are you certain the underground line is cast iron? it might be terracota.

its going to be expensive to move and more than the immediate area may have to be torn up, drain lines from toilets have to be gradual, you cant put in a sharp bend.

time to dig up gently the line and know in advance this job can grow, roots in sewer line, cracked terracota T connection in worst possible spot

Reply to
hallerb

Lead is rarely used, if at all, anymore. The plumber should use whatever type of connection is readily available and suitable for whatever type of pipes he is connecting. Generally a rubber connector secured with band clamps around it. If you do not trust your plumber to know what he is doing, you should not have hired him. You, apparently totally inexperienced, are very unlikely to learn enough in a very short time to be able to judge his comptence. If it looks good and doesn't leak, be happy. Ask the plumber to explain if there is something you wish to know about his work.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young