Mold on shower curtains.

Page 1 of 2
We keep replacing the shower curtains because of mold. Recently we bought an anti-mold shower curtain. This lasted a bit longer but eventually mold will grow on it. What are some ways I can prevent mold growth on shower curtains.
Thanks
Yeah, moisture is the enemy. You have to get them to dry -- you can clean them if you want, but a dry shower curtain gathers no ... mold.
Sam Nickaby wrote:

Are you using plastic or cloth? The cloth ones last much longer, and you can just toss them in the washer when they start to smell mildewy. They also just look much nicer than the plastic ones.
-- Jennifer
-> Sam Nickaby wrote: -> > We keep replacing the shower curtains because of mold. Recently we -> > bought an anti-mold shower curtain. This lasted a bit longer but -> > eventually mold will grow on it. What are some ways I can prevent -> > mold growth on shower curtains. -> -> -> Are you using plastic or cloth? The cloth ones last much longer, and -> you can just toss them in the washer when they start to smell mildewy. -> They also just look much nicer than the plastic ones.
You can toss the plastic ones in the washer, too.
After you've rehung the shower curtain, spray it with warm water to get out the wrinkles.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~
Suzie-Q wrote:

I tried that a few times, washing plastic ones with an old towel, but the plastic always creased and stuck to itself in the washer. The curtain would come out with any mildew removed from exposed surfaces, but would still have mildew anywhere the curtain folded.
I switched to a cloth liner + cloth curtain about three years ago... it really is a big improvement.
YMMV, of course :)
-- Jennifer

+1 to that idea, they're much more resistant to mold and MUCH easier to clean. The only trouble being the usual hassle of dealing with the clips.

I'll second or third that. I buy the closest thing to a hotel shower curtain I can find in civilian stores, looks like the same stuff they make the sails for the baby sailboats out of. Some sort of synthetic, never bothered to read the labels that close. Once every 3-4 months, I run it through the washer with a load of towels, and hang it back up damp. No mold problems at all, and I'm a slob. They seem to last about 5 years for me before the edges start looking frayed. I'll never go back to plastic.
aem sends...

Once a week I pour a bottle of alcohol all along the shower curtain to allow an even coat. I also "shower" the curtain with water to remove soap scum before exiting the stall. I think this helps more than alcohol.

If you don't mind the smell and the 1% increase in your chances of dying of cancer, one of those rectangular "mothball" blocks that's designed to hand in a closet will inhibit (not stop, but slow down) mold and mildew growth.

Same here
I will never go back to plastic. I've got a polyester fabric curtain that is hookless. best thing I ever bought!
Sam Nickaby wrote:

Keep them clean and dry. Really. I know what may not be al that easy, but that is the answer. Wash them from time to time.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

And turn on a bathroom fan with a humidistat when the RH rises to 60%.
Nick
Greetings,
If you have more than one shower in your house try taking showers in both on alternate days. If your shower cutain has a lot of extra folds that stay folded you might try one which is smaller (or make yours smaller). You might also consider installing sliding glass doors. Or you could have a topless maid over to clean them each and every time your wife lets them get a spec of mold.
Hope this helps, William
are you throwing your shower curtains in the washer? are you leaving the shower curtain closed until it is completely dry?
--

"Sam Nickaby" < snipped-for-privacy@none.com> wrote in message
news:0y3Fe.278$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...

I toss mine in the washer with a lot of bleach. I run the cycle until it fills with water, then shut it off and let it sit for a few hours or overnight. Then I turn the washer back on and let it complete the cycle.

A spray bottle with a bleach solution. Or wiping it down with a sponge soaked in bleach solution. Install a sterilizer UV lamp to run when everyone's asleep.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Use the spray shower cleaners after every use too. Helps things like that a lot. Close the curtain so it can dry. Vent the bathroom too.
Sam Nickaby wrote:

Sponge it off with soapy water with a touch of bleach. I toss mine in the washer, with a couple of towels, run on gentle cycle, warm water, detergent and bleach. Put in dryer, low heat, for only a minute or two, to warm it and get the wrinkles out. DO NOT forget it :o) Hang it up right away. When they get old, I use them for drop cloths.

Use an after-shower spray on the curtain. Run a fan for at least 20 minutes after bathing. Kill exisiting mold/mildew with a solution of 1 pint warm water, 1/4 cup household bleach, 1/4 teaspoon dishwashing liquid in a spray bottle. Mold and mildew require moisture to grow.
I have had some luck in the past with just such a situation. Once I had a clean Shower curtain hanging, I would spray with Lemon pledge. Heavily spray, and let dry and when bathing, soap scum won;t stick either.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB
If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?
The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.