Mold On RTV Silicone In Bathroom Shower ?

Hello,
Have a shower stall that has some RTV Silicone that was apparently used in a few spots to seal small cracks. Whoever did it, shouldn't have, but...
Anyway, as expected, over the years some very light blackish mold has developed on it. Looks like "mainly" on the surface, and undoubtedly a bit below also.
Tried several of the normal household cleaners with no luck.
There are zillions more cleaners and products avail., but can't try them all.
Anyone have any suggestions on what to try, or at least worth a try ?
Really don't want to dig out all the RTV, if I can avoid.
Thanks, Bob
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/16/2011 7:43 AM, Bob wrote:

I put on a few drops of bleach and leave it on and rinse off later.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Frank wrote:

I put a lot of bleach on my floor, turned on the fan, and left it for over an hour so it could soak in. All mold was gone and has stayed on for several months since.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Mix water and bleach to 95% water/5% bleach and pour/spray it on the RTV. For stubborn areas, soak a paper towel in the mixture and press it onto the RTV. That way it stays wet and active for longer.
Hardware stores also sell spray bottles with mixtures specifically designed to kill mould on tile and silicone. They work.
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
After you go nuclear with bleach, keep a spray bottle of white vinegar in the bath and it will prevent and remove the mildew and mold before it can get a toehold.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That's way too weak, I use at least a 50-50 mixture, sometimes even stronger if I am in a hurry. Just don't breathe the fumes, keep the bathroom fan on if possible, and don't plan on using the facility for an hour or so.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Watch using bleach, it's corrosive! You don't want to get it on fixtures or any metal.
I use Softscrub w/bleach at least once a week. I put it on the caulking areas & rinse it off in about an hour (don't scrub the caulking, just wipe the Softscrub on). They must have their solution just right, cause it hasn't damaged any metal.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.