Mold And Silicone/RTV In Shower ?

Hi,

I have a shower stall that over the years has apparently had some grout cracks fixed with RTV/Silicone.

As to be expected, I guess, there is some mold on the Silicone.

Seems to be Not on surface, but probably very slightly below the Silicone surface. I would guess not too deep, but hard to tell.

Have tried all the normal cleaners, and Chlorox; none seem to penetrate (at all).

Any suggestions as what to try next ?

The Silicone is probably somewhat porous on the surface, and going down the very small amount where the mold is, so I can't help feeling that there might be something that would get down there. Is there ?

Really don't want to have to remove the Silicone, if I can avoid it.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

I sometimes put a few drops of pure Clorox on moldy chalk lines and let it sit. Sometimes takes a while to bleach.

Reply to
Frank

I tried the hard approach. Does not work. Your going to have to redo it with mold resistant rtv.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

As stated above, mold resistant silicone is the only fix. The downside is the amount of work involved. The upside is that silicones stick to silicones extremely well, so your work will likely be successful.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

false. true 100% silicones don't stick to much of anything, including itself.

Reply to
chaniarts

Not so false. If you clean the old residue with greased lightning, it will stick. True, old silicone has a sort of film that's prevents good sticktion, but it will come off with cleaner. Most of the old, must be scraped off, to get a good corner.

Greg

Reply to
gregz