Moisture on driveway by garage doors

I was looking at a house for sale the other day and noticed some wetness on both sides of the driveway a couple of inches out from the garage door where there's a joint in the concrete slab. It ran about a couple of feet or so from the edge of the drive in towards the center, parallel to the door, with mold growing a bit up a wall at one of the corners. Same thing on both sides. The builder said it was from having mowed and watered the lawn and that the water collects there. But this seems unlikely since this is the middle of summer on a hot sunny, dry, day in Florida. No similar moisture elsewhere. There's about two foot soffit above. The house otherwise appears solid and actually very nicely finished everywhere else.

Anyone know what I'd want to look at to determine the source of the moisture?

Thanks... AB

Reply to
al

Hi, Water has to flow away from garage/house. Should never collect like that if that's the case. All the houses I owned, driveway always slopped away from the garage floor. Or driveway was hastily poured without proper prep. causing the poor drainage. In doubt, how about hifing a reputable house inspector.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Downspouts nearby? Water or sprinkler pipes under the driveway? What side of the house is the moldy spot and is it sunny or shady? We get dew dripping from edge of roof and downspouts early in morning, but no mildew where it lands. The builder? Brand new home? There have been some heavy rains lately - perhaps it is the last of a puddle that collected and took a while to dry?

Reply to
Norminn

Quote: al[2] wrote on Sun, 06 July 2008 10:23

Are the A/C condensate drains nearby? Plenty of condensate being pumped out of the house on a hot sunny dry (but humid) day in Florida I imagine.

-- Richard Thoms Founder - Top Service Pros, Inc. Connecting Homeowners and Local Service Professionals

topservicepros

perhaps the garage is air-conditioned and the condensate is from cold air seeping out under the door?

Reply to
CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert

al wrote: ...

Ask to see the sprinkler system run. It's possible the builder is right--if there's a sprinkler head hitting the wall or similar and it's pooling, it just might keep it damp.

If that's not it, there's another water source somewhere if it's growing mold it's been wet more than not for a while...

The A/C condensate is one possibility, the other depending on where it actually is might even be ground water.

If it's not apparent it'll be something you'll want an inspection to uncover before making a decision...

Reply to
dpb