Moen Shower Faucet Replacement

I decided to replace my Moen shower faucet (the cheap plastic-handle kind my builder installed) with something a bit more fancy. I purchased a new Moen Eva faucet with the same screw configuration as the one I removed. I left the old posi-temp vale in-place as it is only 4 years old and I didn't want to turn this into a huge job.

The new handle installs fine, but the handle sticks out about a good inch or so from the wall-plate rather than mounting flush as it is supposed to according to the picture and manual. Frankly, it looks pretty goofy right now.

I looked at all the documentation and it looks like the valve is supposed to be recessed further back in the wall. I'm not ready to rip apart the bathroom wall and redo the plumbing.

Am I missing something? Is there an easy way to recess the valve further back into the wall without ripping the wall open? Is there a shorter cartridge option?

Thanks in advance!!

Reply to
imlazar

Was the distance correct before? If so, would appear the new one has different dimensions than the existing -- not too surprising. Unless there's a mounting nipple that could be shortened, only thing one can do as far as I know would be to rearrange the valve location. How much effort and how much destruction required depends entirely on how the original was plumbed and how much access there is behind the cover plate. Can't see that from here... :)

Had to cobble a repair to daughter's shower from replacement of galvanized piping in tub/shower -- guy tore up a chunk of tile and left the nipple long for the tub spout. Owing to time constraints and lack of tools away from home, made a filler gasket to make up the difference -- of course, it was only about 1/4", not a long distance. Looks a little funky, but much better than a hole in the tiled wall. Point of story is you'll either have to do it right or make a patchup job of some sort for your situation.

Reply to
dpb

Moen now has a standardize valve system so trim can be changed. My guess is your valve predates the new system.

Reply to
Art