Moen Kichen faucet..cartridge removal

Unable to remove actually...

7 year old moen single handle faucet (came with new home)that has the sprayer that comes out of the main unit. Unit looks fine, but leaks after use for a short bit...seems to come from the "seam" between the movable handle and the "stem' Anyway, looked up the Moen site on how to remove the cartridge, easy enough. Get the cap off and start to unscrew the phillips head that holds the handle on, and it just spins and spins.

A few questions, is there a way to get this off now that it seems stripped?

What IS the Moen warranty on this, since it came with a new home I don't have a receipt. I called home depot and they said it is done through the manufacturer. BUT weeks ago , my mother had the same issue, and the HD there, just gave her a new cartridge, "because Moens have a lifetime warranty". Should I call Moen? Any advice? Thanks

Reply to
GotBonus?

Try drilling it out, start with the smallest you have while jamming it along the edge with a small screwdriver to stop the spinning. You will need an oversize metal screw to replace it afterwords.

Reply to
uomo88

Just repaired a Moen like this. Does it gurgle when it's turned off? Like it's dribbling? It might be the antibackflow, which is this small blue plastic poppet valve thru the white nylon housing near the top of the valve. I described the problem to my faucet guy and he diagnosed it over the phone. That might be it if it only leaks for a short time after being turned off. I think the part was $5.49 plus tax. I'm looking at the bill but they didn't itemize. There was another part for $14.99 but I do'nt think that was it. Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

No gurgle, but it does only leak for a short time.

Thanks for the lead

Reply to
GotBonus?

I assume the screw descends into the metal piece in the top of the filter, that in fact will probably be replaced by replacing the filter, am I wrong? I may try to get something in there to prevent the spinning, but I doubt I will attempt to drill it out as of yet.

Gave me an idea though. Thanks

Reply to
GotBonus?

We've had some minor things with our Moen kitchen faucet as well as some other plumbing manufacturers and always found it worthwhile to call them directly. Our plumber told us they are happy to help consumers but don't like it when the professional plumbers do the calling.

Myrna

Reply to
Myrna

I think it depends on how you approach them. I was doing some work on a client's In-Sink-Erator disposal and found it had leaked through the grinder chamber into the electrical connection box and the motor area. It was totally shot. She called In-Sink-Erator and was told her unit was a year out of warranty. I emailed In-Sink-Erator and commented how dangerous it was to have their unit leak like that, how it had damaged her cabinets and how she was a loyal In-Sink-Erator customer; all true. So much so that she had already gone out and purchased an higher model In-Sink-Erator. The company wouldn't reimburse her the cost of the new unit but sent out a "courtesy replacement" of the exact model that had failed. The lady sold it on Craigs list for $100. So the replacement cost her ~ $65. Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

I had to replace a Moen cartridge and I wrecked the cartridge during the removal process. I ended up using large pliers and basically grabbing the end of the cartridge and wiggling it like hell until it came out. You want to try to twist the cartridge and it will eventually come out. It took a lot of work but when I took the damaged cartridge to Home Depot they gave me a replacement right away - with no questions. Good luck!

Reply to
Doug

Most of these manufactures make a "cartridge removal tool" looks like a small gear puller. Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

That was going to be my recommendation. I had the same problem years ago, called Moen, and had that cartridge out of there in a minute. Unfortunately I don't remember what I was told to do, but it wasn't anything magical, but rather something counter-intuitive.

Keith

First problem is getting the handle off. It sounds as if either the screw is stripped or the hole it goes into. Try to slip a knife blade under the screw head and exert a little upward pressure as you turn the screw. With luck you can get it high enough to grab with a pair of pliers and get it out. The screw is a standard size. Your local hardware store can get you a replacement easily.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Thanks for all the replies and pardon the top post.

An update, i have spoken with Moen and they are sending all anticipated replacement parts including and beyond just the cartridge. The person i spoke with stated that i need to break off the light blue retaining ring below the screw( and associated handle piece) in order to be able to grasp the brass stem under it with a pair of needlenose pliers. i should be able to turn out the screw then, seemed like a common problem.

I am impressed with Moens CS.

New Online Poker Players ! GotBonus? Deposit bonus code information for the top poker rooms on the internet. $25 to $600 added at Partypoker and Full Tilt Poker . Qualify for the Paradise Poker MILLION dollar freeroll 3 ! Details at

GotBonus?

And as often as I've seen people say that Home Depot replaces them on sight, my local Home Depot will neither loan the tool for removal (they'll SELL you a *plastic* flimsy tool for $16) nor replace the cartridge for free.

Reply to
clifto