Microwave from Sears / Kmart

Page 1 of 3
My parents 35 year old Hardwick microwave finally quit. They did some research, and then went to Kmart, and bought one. Kmart is now part of the Sears family. Under a hundred dollars later, Mom and Dad came home with a new one.
About a week later, the unit is running, but not heating. The manual says either return to the store for exchange, or take to a Sears authorized repair center. Well, there is such a center near where they live, so the microwave gets put back in the box, and carried out to the car.
Some days and a couple phone calls later, we learn that the microwave was shipped from Rochester NY to Pittsburgh PA the repair center. It was shipped back, because that center doesn't do microwaves. And then off to some other center.
A robocall comes in, the unit is ready to pick up. Dad drives to the repair center and finds out it's not there. Got sent some where else.
Finally the unit comes back, still broken. New instructions are to take it to the store of purchase, and exchange it.
Two weeks or more later, and they still don't have a microwave. Back to heating food and coffee on the stove, and planning meals that can reheat in pans.
I'm not all impressed with Kmart / Sears customer service. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

Something that new should have been taken back for exchange instead of for repair.
Well, at least with this brand, we know this now. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Something that new should have been taken back for exchange instead of for repair.
On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 18:38:55 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

But didn't you think that if you exchange it, you could have one available to use immediately or did you think they repair it as you wait?
My parents though it would be a couple days for repair. Didn't expect it to take this long. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
wrote: >Well, at least with this brand, we know this now.

But didn't you think that if you exchange it, you could have one available to use immediately or did you think they repair it as you wait?
On Wed, 3 Apr 2013 02:37:56 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

I guess I don't understand your parents' thinking. It just seems easier and faster to exchange if that's one of the choices. Perhaps I'm overlooking something???
The repair place is closer. Dad's a kind hearted fellow, who is willing to let them repair the unit, rather than having to throw it out, provide another one at a loss. He didn't figure several empty handed trips to the repair place, and having his microwaved shiped here and there. The robocall to come pick it up, and find it wasn't there. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
wrote: >My parents though it would be a couple days for repair. Didn't expect it to

I guess I don't understand your parents' thinking. It just seems easier and faster to exchange if that's one of the choices. Perhaps I'm overlooking something???
On Wed, 3 Apr 2013 20:10:35 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

I guess the old saying applies here sadly.... Nice guys finish last !!!
I must agree with that. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I guess the old saying applies here sadly.... Nice guys finish last !!!

I guess that explains why you're stupid. -----
- gpsman

ys

Goes along with his inability not to top post. Harry K
Huh? Explain it to me? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I guess that explains why you're stupid. -----
- gpsman
On 4/2/2013 8:38 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm not at all impressed with your parents' judgement. It was a brand new microwave, they had the option to simply return it, and instead they decided to waste *their* time by sending it away for repair. After that proved unsatisfactory, they apparently compounded their poor judgement by following the store's instructions to get an exchange instead of a refund, since it seems they still haven't got a functional device.
They have to take personal responsibility for their bad decision. They _chose_ to inconvenience themselves, and more than once, too.
On Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:38:49 AM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sears executive offices Blue Ribbon center:
1-888-266-4043 or 1-800-995-2139
One of those numbers is answered only by a machine that asks you to give an extension number. Hit any 2 digits. Because of what my father told me about his experiences with Sears repair service, when I bought a new washer a few years ago and it had a chipped tub, I exchanged it rather than have Sears fix it, and when its replacement made funny noises, I exchanged that one, too.
At least Sears still has a parts & service division, unlike crowd favorites Target and Walmart.
BTW if you ever have to repair a microwave out of warranty (expensive one, like an overhead or microwave-convection), electronics parts supplies, like MCM, can be a lot cheaper than appliance parts houses.
On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 07:47:44 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

But Target and WM don't sell appliances. Last place I'd buy an appliance is Sears. Try your local appliance store that has a real service guy working for them.

I wouldn't buy an appliance from Sears either but they're probably the largest seller of appliances in the world. Somebody is buying there. I believe they have the largest appliance service organization, so I bet they have some "real service guy(s)" working there, too.
On Tue, 02 Apr 2013 23:37:32 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I know someone that manages a Sears service department. They do have some really good techs, but they also have some real hacks and absurd policies. He says it is a crap shoot. 20 years ago it was much better. #1 goal used to be customer satisfaction, now #1 is profit. Nothing new.

You think it's different anywhere else??? Training has gone the way of the Dodo bird, and nobody cares about quality or sustomer service anymore.
On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 21:47:04 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

At a chain store? No. At a local store? Yes. We have one in town with the same service guy for 20+ years, another that does propane appliances and installs, same guy for 30+ years.
Last appliance I bought was a clothes dryer. Local guy was $20 more than Home Depot, but the delivery and hookup were done the same day at our convenience.

Problem is, what happens when us old guys retire???The shops that have the same guy for 20 and 30 years have a new guy "in the wings" learning everything the old guy has learned over the last 20, 30, 40, or 50 years??? That's the problem - at least here in Canada - and I'm sure it's very similar in the US of A.