Microwave drys clothes faster than a dryer

I just discovered that you can dry one or two small to medium size pieces of clothing in a microwave oven faster than using a clothes dryer. Just stick it in the MW and run it for a few minutes. I stand and watch just so it dont start on fire or something. They come out steaming. I have done mostly blue jeans. It was frozen jeans that I left outside to dry and forgot about. They were frozen so I stuck them in the MW. They thawed and dried.

Paul

Reply to
paul

I was at a place with roaches in the microwave, I ran it a minute and they still were walking around.

Reply to
ransley

I need a bigger microwave, my bed sheets don't fit in there and my shirts get tangled up in the rotation tray.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

It's an extremely bad idea to put ANYTHING containing metal into a microwave oven, unless you want to see your own personal miniature lightning storm.

That said, it's an extremely GOOD idea to use your microwave oven as a steriliser for cloths used to clean worktops and dish towels. One minute on full power kills all the microbes which might be lurking within the material, especially those which cause stinks in a damp cloth which has been left to sit around for a day or so, leaving them with a neutral odour..

Reply to
Aardvark

And then you put them on and are sterile for a week :^)

EJ > I just discovered that you can dry one or two small to medium size

Reply to
Ernie Willson

If they're steaming, they're not dry.

Reply to
1D1OT

And what does the cloth around the copper rivets and other metal nifties look like?

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Maybe they look 'hot'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! e.g. "Only slight charring around metal buttons?

But contrary to the imagination of the technically uninformed any metal bits will not become 'radioactive'.

Reply to
terry

Incorrect information.

Here's a clue: what is the inside of a microwave made from?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Incorrect, incorrect information.

Reply to
tnom

tnom

Even if your clothes have no metal like zippers buttons or foil you still can easily damage your clothes.

Microwaves energy can be focused into hotspots on stationary clothing. A little wrinkle here or there can actually combine the microwave energy to a specific spot and burn it. If you can find a way to tumble the clothes then you may have something.

Reply to
tnom

snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You should stick your head in there and dry your hair.

Reply to
StepfanKing

Yeah, but can you cook oatmeal in your clothes dryer? Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob-tx

Alright then. Just for giggles, do the following.

Grab a handful of wire wool and set it in your microwave oven, and turn it on to full power for one minute.

Don't forget to stand WELL back, but make sure you have a good view of what goes on inside. You won't need to wait the full minute to see what happens.

Does the word 'spectacular' ring any bells?

:-)

Reply to
Aardvark

I did that by accident, years ago. With a teakettle, th at had some gold inlay.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK

A computer CD makes an interesting light show in a microwave. Set it on top of a small glass so it is about centered.

Split a green grape, but DONT cut it through. Place in the microwave.

Reply to
DanG

No, that would lead to trouble based upon the specific size and shape of metal used (RF concentration inside of the cooking area, easily combustible metal, et cetera ).

The point is that your information, as quoted in your initial statement above, was incorrect, not that you can't find some configurations of metal which are not appropriate to use inside of a microwave. Try some intellectual honesty before you reply if you actually want to understand these things, and/or not mislead people.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Not my point. My point was that there are circumstances whereby placing metals in microwave and turning it on can have unintended, if spectacular results.

And so, in order for the OP to keep himself totally safe and his microwave oven in one piece, it would be a bad idea to place anything containing metal into said oven.

I understand that there are some materials and objects that it might be not the best of ideas to place in a microwave if you intend to turn that microwave on.

As I don't ever have a list of these materials and objects to hand I consider that erring on the side of caution would be the best idea. I was passing this advice on to the OP.

Intellectual honesty, my arse.

Reply to
Aardvark

Many x's I have done tv meals and pot pie with aluminum plates left inside the boxes with no noticicable problems. They are also good for warming blankets for the infirm that need a quick warm-up. Just put a small container of h20 to mitigate any possible drying to point of flammability. This is reality, stop the fear mongers dire warnings and stay open minded to learning new ideas...

Reply to
willbair