Microwave Cooking Center CleanUp & Restorationg Advice Needed. :)

I have "Microwave Cooking Center" made by General Electric Company which is getting old and paints have started to come off from the various parts of the stovetop & see some rusted spots. I am thinking about restoring some part of the oven and general clean up. "Microwave Cooking Center" is 3 in 1 unit where unit includes stove top (4 burners - gas operated), gas operated full size oven unit, and overhead fan unit with built in top microwave unit. Model JGHP66GEJ8BG and it was manufactured in 1989 and made by General Electric Company. This unit came with house that my father bought in 1997 and I've enjoyed cooking family meals on the stove, however, I need help with clean-up & restoration procedures.
Here are my questions.
1) Does anyone know where I can purchase alternative oven / stovetop knobs for such old unit(online/offline)? My question is that does these cooking appliances have standard fit for the knobs? Or do I have to shell out hard earned $$$ on SEARS and GE's original parts at an insane prices? They quoted me a $30 for a replacement oven temp dial for this unit!
2) I have found some rust spots and they look like won't come off easily. I want to know the right way to remove these rust spots off metal chassie without further damaging the unit.
3) I'd like to paint them once rust spots were removed, but since these things get really hot(twice a year : Thansgiving & Christmas for 6+ hours of non-stop cooking!) and using normal paint worries me. Is there's special paint for painting such hot appliance surfaces? Even if I can use the normal paint, can someone tell me which brand/type to use and where to get it?
4) Oh...machine keep collecting grease on the surface, especially on the microwave unit's door and underneath unit. What is the good product to get rid of gunky oily stuffs?
Thanks in advance. I've just ordered digital camera which is going to arrive on Wednesday. I am going to take picture of the before and after make over of my cooking unit, so this should be an interesting project. :)
Oktokie
Hi,

Most knobs are not standard, but there may be some alteratives available...some places to check/call... http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&PA http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?a-1appliance+tSwkBf+rangeparts.html Calling is probably best with the age of the appliance.

Most cooking surfaces are not paint but a porcerain. Dan O has a collection of restoration links for some places that may be able to help with questions/suggestions/ect... http://www.appliance411.com/links/Restoration /

http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?a-1appliance+tSwkBf+googonpropsp.html Fast acting - won't drip. Removes sticky, gummy, greasy problems. All the power of the original Goo Gone in a new drip-free spray gel!

Post some pictures, would be great to see!!

<snip>
Though you are unlikely to find identical knobs, compatible ones that will work if you replace them all, is more likley.
Thanks for lots of good info Jeff. Camera arrived this morning and I am running out to grab a xdmemory adapter & rechargeable battery & etc. I will post an image to my blog site soon and post links to the newsgroup soon.
Oktokie jeff wrote:

No but there *may be* "universal" surface burners knobs available but the one for the oven thermostat varies depending on the type of control used in it. The temperature calibrations change depending.

GE's replacement parts prices are usually at the high end of the scale but you can find them a bit cheaper at the following links:
GE JGHP66GEJ8BG Thermostat Knob http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?rc%7419
Selector Switch Knob http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?rc%7420
Surface Burner Knob http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?rc%10
The following *might* be an acceptable replacement for the above surface burner knobs and are a bit cheaper. That company has a very liberal return policy if not.
Alt(?) Surface Burner Knob http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?rcD6

There's no set procedure for that as far as I'm aware. Maybe steel whole would do minimal collateral damage (if used carefully)?

It depends on exactly what those surfaces are. The cooktop itself will not likely be "painted" with anything and last without discolouring and looking worse than before. The tops are usually porcelain to withstand the heat so the top would either have to be reporcelained or replaced to get any sort of long lasting finish.
GE JGHP66GEJ8BG Cooktop (white) http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?rc &5302
Most of the other areas should be able to be painted with regular appliance paint:
Appliance Paint & Touch-ups http://www.appliance411.com/data.php?rcp4%26AccCatID%3D12

There are lots of commercial grease cleaning products out there, maybe GooGone work work in your situation?
JMO
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+GE+range
=~~~~~~