Paint cleanup?

I have a bathroom sink, a tub, a toilet, and a kitchen sink. I do not have a utility sink in my house. I also have a yard. If I paint a room and want to wash out my brushes and rollers, where do I dispose of the water and paint from the cleanup? What are the best methods for cleaning bushes and rollers with an environment like mine?

Reply to
Salad

1) Down the toilet 2) On a convenient gravel road or driveway

Depending on formulation, some latex paints are solublized for cleanup with ammonia. Others may need an acidic helper like vinegar but I haven't tried it. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I've read advice for disposing of unused portions of paint that say pour latex paint over crumpled newspaper in a plastic lined trash container. Let dry, dispose of with household trash.

For cleaning up tools, I squeeze as much paint out of the roller as possible, either by hand or by pulling it across the rim of the tray. Fill sink with cool water, put brush and roller cover (if going to re-use) in, squoosh it around to get out as much paint as possible. Empty and rinse sink with plenty of clear water. Drizzle dish detergent over roller and work it in; let stand. Work deter into bristles of bruch, down into it as much as possible. Let stand a few hours, rinse well, dry.

If you are reluctant to let any paint down the drain, do the initial rinse in a large bucket of clear water. Then, let the water stand until paint settles out, pour off the clear water and pick up the settled pigment with newspaper or paper towels and dispose of in garbage.

Reply to
NorMinn

It takes months for latex paint to settle out of water. I throw rollers away because they take too long to clean, or put them in the freezer without cleaning them at all, wrapped in Saran Wrap which will keep them ready to thaw and re-use for a few days. I use low-quality brushes for touchup, and throw them away. I DO clean good quality bristle brushes in the sink and run the water down the drain. Surprisingly, the paint companies and the water treatment plant say it's OK. Call them to find out.

I've been cleaning mine. Warm water works best...what you can do is take them out to the yard and use the hose to get as much paint out as you can. Then squeeze the roller cover to get as much water out as possible - wrap in papers so they won't drip over everything. Bring the roller pad and paint tray back to kitchen sink and soak in hot soapy water a few minutes.

Rinse in vinegar and water - if you have a brush of some kind, use it to fluff up the roller cover.

Dorothy

Reply to
Dorot29701

:o) Whatever does not settle out in a day or so would seem real save to pour down the drain, even for the paranoid :o)

I always freeze brushes and rollers for keeping overnight. They actually keep a very long time when you forget they are there :o)

I was thinking about folks with septic systems; only lived with that a short time and don't know what is safe. Would, for sure, never pour solvents into a septic.

Reply to
NorMinn