Meter Location (was Residential Electricity)

Page 2 of 2
On 5/12/2016 9:33 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Why? Waste more time? Were they illegal Mexicans?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

The power is served from the front side of the house and there is no easy way to have the meter in the back. They are not going to run the service lateral all the way around a row of homes and down through the back yards just to hide a meter.
On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 10:38:11 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That would be my guess too. Question for the OP, are all the condos done that way? Certainly no uniformity here in NJ and typically they don't put them on the front. They are usually on a side where they are still easily accessible but out of view. Condo I had years ago here, they were on the side, hardly visible at all. There is one new construction house here in the $800K range where the meter is on the front of the house, but it's not facing front, it's on part of the garage wall, where the garage extends out beyond the front of the rest of the house. I think that whole setup is dumb and ugly too.
On Thu, 12 May 2016 07:49:19 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

Grouping the meters on one end is certainly an option but you would also need have raceways for the SE conductors buried under the other units before they were built. At a certain point, voltage drop will become an issue if these SE conductors get very long. It is a lot easier to run a straight shot to the unit from the street.
On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 12:12:08 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It depends on how the condos come together. In my case they were in clusters of 16. Mine was at right angles to the one next to it. That corner area between the two was where the meters and AC for both units were placed, so there was no need to run anything further, it worked out very nicely. The next door neighbors condo had the next condo directly abut it, the one following that was at right angles to it, etc. So the electric for those two was again in a corner area.
On 05/12/2016 11:23 AM, trader_4 wrote:

They built a bunch here that each building has the SE on the end wall w/ all the meters; each pair of two had it on facing ends, of course.
It's all whether the contractor is willing to spend the $$ for the aesthetics or is looking for the cheapest way out. Distance is easily compensated for at the expense of some cable size perhaps but probably not likely there, anyway; the service to the building has to be sufficient for the whole complex irregardless and the distance within the building from that distribution point is likely not an issue.
As for the routing, I didn't walk through these before they were completed so not sure how the main runs were done but I'd suspect there was room for a conduit trace in the space between floors designed in from the git-go...

If these ran "through" the building in common areas, you need a disconnect by the meter. If they run under the building, they can still be service conductors, hot from the meter. It gets more troubling if they are actually running through another owners unit. No builders is going to spend the extra money to deal with voltage drop. The loophole in 310.15(B)(6) provides more voltage drop than some people want, even with short service conductors. Condos and townhouses may be the worst since a lot of them will go with the minimum 100a panel and that can be fed with 4 gauge copper.
On Thu, 12 May 2016 10:37:58 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Around here most "row housing" has all the meters on one end wall, where they are relatively unobtrusive.
On 5/13/2016 12:50 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Not practical when you have a city block of 25 houses in a row. Philadelphia had thousands of houses like that. most with meters in the back though.

Simple solution: Have some Amish people move into those houses. The electric meters will be gone quickly!
On 5/12/2016 1:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

likewise with a grow operation.
On Thu, 12 May 2016 06:44:56 -0400, "J.B. Wood"

In the townhouses I live in, the meters are in front, but there's a 5' closed wooden wall around a tiny patio that keeps people in front of the house from seeing the meter, the front sliding glass door, the grill, the bicycle, the scooter, the lawnmower, the garbage cans, and the other junk stored there. The meter is really the least of it.
The electric power goes along the front of the houses and it would have been awfully hard to have put the meters in the back. And I'm glad the water, electricity, phone, and sewer** are in the front. In this case I don't want workmen in back. It's bad enough the cable is back there.
**all underground