Maytag / Jenn-Air Recall & Symptoms

Hi,
The day before we noticed the recall notice, our dishwashed stopped working. A few tests on the cycles showed that water entered the machine but wasn't being pumped/thrown around. A little work later - after uninstalling the trim I noticed a lot of water under the dishwashed.
I became evident that water was leaking out of the motor casing - directly over the motor coil.
Is this behaviour consistent with the recall? Can someone describe the behaviour beyond the brief explanation Maytag gives?
Their explanation says the rinse-aid can cause fire & property damage. Is the property damage related to the water leaking - or the fire - or both?
I phoned their frustrating-helpline & never got an answer - then found their web-site http://repair.maytag.com - which says my model JDB11 isn't involved in the recall.
But it seems too coincidental. Also, when I was soaking up the water under the dishwasher I noticed a clump of what looked like solder that would have come off one of the manufactured joints (as the joints used in installation were all compression joints).
Help? Please?
I do own one of the affected models. What I read was that the container for the drying agent leaks onto the wires, I suppose in the door, and can deteriorate the insulation and possibly cause a fire. They'll give you $75 toward a new machine or if you've never used the drying agent tank, they will permanently seal it up

$75 for a $500 dishwasher? I'd rather let it catch fore and sue maytag for my house!!!!

I'm with you!!!

Maytag had a dishwasher recall for fires about 14 years ago. You would have thought they would have fired the moron engineers the first time around.

snipped-for-privacy@backpacker.com wrote:

snip...
Since the owners have been warned as required by law and offered a free repair _or $75 if they were considering replacing the old DW anyway_ any lawsuit would be an uphill struggle. Besides, nobody has seen a house burning down because of the problem which appears to burn/melt the plastic inside panel of the door. The only physical injuries resulting from the problem appear to be 3 cases of smoke inhalation and 1 case where somebody lacerated a hand _with his/her own fire extinguisher_.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
RBM wrote:

_OR_ they will schedule a free in-home service call to replace the "inner door" (as it was described by the non-technical person I talked to) and install a new wiring harness. At least they will if you have enough patience to get through the automated phone system and interminable hold.
OP's problem sounds far more expensive to me. Like a cracked pump housing or, at minimum, a totally failed seal in the submerged section. Any damage inside the door, which is what the recall covers, might in the extreme case cause a leak of water but it wouldn't be coming out of the motor and the hole in the inside of the door would be painfully obvious.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]