Maytag dryer timer never stops

I have a Maytag dryer, model LDE7304ACE (10-15 years old?) that works fine except that the timer never stops. The dryer stops drying at the right time, but the timer dial just keeps turning (and ticking). We've been working around the problem by just unplugging it when we aren't using it, and if it would cost a lot to fix (like buying a new timer), I'd just as soon buy a new dryer since we've been thinking about replacing our washer anyway. Any chance this is something easily and cheaply fixed?

Reply to
CS22

The appliguy is the GREATEST! He has walked me through two washing machine repairs for fraction of the cost of hiring someone.

He will help you. Get the brand and model no. and he will have the right answer for you.

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

We have 20 year old Maytags that repairclinic.com has helped us keep going after maybe 12-15 years of no repairs. After the sticker shock ($1500) of the yuppie inspired LG front loader that was displayed at the Borg, we opted for a $200 new motor for the washer. Odds are your repairs are a) cheap and b) quickly done. Give it a go.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Looks like the timer motor is about $130.00. That's about 15% the cost of a new dryer.

Still, when you pull it out to do the replacement, it may be obvious what the problem is. It may even be as simple as a loose wire.

Reply to
HeyBub

A timer that advances through off is completing the timer motor circuit either within the timer or at another point within the machine. You will need to look at the wiring diagram and see which contacts within the timer open to cut power to the timer motor when the dial reaches off. Then with the machine unplugged, remove the wires from those contacts (if they come off) and do an ohm test to see if the contacts inside the timer are really open. If they are, then the timer motor is getting power through a back door and you'll need to figure out how. Since the timer motor isn't 240v, it is a bit unusual that it could have contacts that are stuck closed, but I guess it is possible.

Reply to
AE Todd

Thanks everyone! The appliguy provided us with the service manual and the wiring diagram. I'll try to get my husband to take a look at it this weekend. Fortunately, it sounds like it will probably be an easy fix.

Reply to
CS22

Can be cheaper than that. Friend of mine owns a coin laundry--he has a big box of bits and pieces salvaged from washers that his customers managed to destroy. Sold me the timer off a Maytag commercial washer for 20 bucks. It's been working fine now for 15 years. Check around the local coin laundries until you find one that uses Maytag, then ask the owner where to get a timer cheap.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I have a 7-years old Maytag that has a similar problem. But the problem only happens if we turn the timer dail above average / normal level. The other difference is that the dryer never stop if we turn the dial above normal level. We live with this by keeping the dial right at or below normal; doing this way also saves us energy cost.

We have this problem from day one. We thought this is a "feature" to encourage us to save energy. And I don't want to fix this.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

Looks like the timer motor is about $130.00. That's about 15% the cost of a new dryer. Still, when you pull it out to do the replacement, it may be obvious what the problem is. It may even be as simple as a loose wire.

You buy some expensive dryers..Using your math, your new dryer would cost around 950.

Reply to
in2-dadark